Mac Pro Purchase Saga

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So here's my latest Apple computer purchase saga. First let me mention that it's all "harryb2448's" fault!!! Just teasing Harry!;) Actually I'm half serious.

My previous Mac Pro was the original 2006 "Quad-Core" 2.66ghz model. A couple weeks ago a Mac-forums member was asking about Mac Pro's "64-bitness"...and Harry mentioned that all Mac Pro's were 100% 64-bit EXCEPT for the first generation Mac Pro's (1,1 & 2,1 models) which have a 32-bit EFI (which I didn't realize).

I had been considering upgrading my 1st generation Mac Pro with a better video card, and possibly upgrading it with a faster processor...or even upgrading it from a quad-core to an 8 core cpu setup. But after adding up all the costs...it didn't really make a whole lot of sense. Add to that the 32-bit EFI of the original Mac Pro...and that sort of pushed me in the direction of selling my old Mac Pro...and looking for a newer one.

Don't get me wrong...the 2006 quad-core Mac Pro is still a great computer...but I started thinking that being a 2006 model that it was getting a bit "long in the tooth" (losing resale value all the time)...and that the 32-bit EFI detail was sort of making me think that it might be a liability of sorts in the future (being the only Mac Pro model that wasn't 100% 64-bit capable).

I knew someone locally that I could sell it to quickly...and sold my old Mac Pro for $800 bucks. Afterwards I thought that maybe I sold it too quickly (probably could have gotten $200-$300 more on e-Bay)...but it was a VERY easy & quick sale...with no shipping hassles.

I also sort of came to the realization that I wasn't going to get an iPad 2 (I pretty much do everything on my laptop that I would have done on an iPad)...so the $500-$600 I had saved since about May, 2010 could go towards a newer Mac Pro. So now I had about $1400 bucks for a newer used Mac Pro.

For about 2 weeks I searched e-Bay & Craig's List (including cities within about a 100 mile radius of my home). Got very close to purchasing a couple different Mac Pro's...but over-bidding folks on e-Bay & "flakey" Craig's List sellers prevented it. I finally found an "Early 2009 Nehalem" 8-core 2.26ghz Mac Pro in a city about 125 miles away.

The asking price was $2300 (Mac2Sell value is $2450). Maybe some folks remember about a month ago I posted a thread where I had gotten about 20 older APC UPS battery backup units for free on Craig's List:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/lounge/233005-todays-craigs-list-find.html

My maximum budget for a newer Mac Pro was pretty much $1500 cash. After some SERIOUS negotiation with the seller...we finally agreed on $1600 plus one of the large APC Smart UPS2200 units pictured in the thread linked above (worth about $400 on e-Bay).

So I drove the 125 miles (each way) to pick it up...got it home...saw that it was pretty "cruddy" inside with dust/dirt/fuzz..so I decided to completely disassemble it...to clean it up:

DSCN1479-1-1-1.jpg

Now it's all reassembled & "sparkly" clean!:) Unfortunately the seller could not find the original "grey OS disks"...but not an uncommon thing. The first upgrade I have planned (once I get some cash saved) is to replace the stock GT 120 video card.

Everything is running great...and speedy.:):)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
She's a beauty!! I was trying to get one too a couple of months ago but never found the right machine. Enjoy the new toy Nick!! :)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She's a beauty!! I was trying to get one too a couple of months ago but never found the right machine. Enjoy the new toy Nick!! :)

Thanks John. I think that you're one of the person's who also appreciates the value of that APC Smart UPS 2200. SO $1600 + the APC 2200 wasn't too bad for the seller either.:) But of course I got a great deal @$1600 cash (plus 250 miles in gas to pick it up).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thanks John. I think that you're one of the person's who also appreciates the value of that APC Smart UPS 2200. SO $1600 + the APC 2200 wasn't too bad for the seller either.:)

- Nick

Good deal both ways IMO, and you still have plenty of UPS units in your stockpile for future bartering! ;D

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal both ways IMO, and you still have plenty of UPS units in your stockpile for future bartering! ;D

Believe it or not...I got 8 more APC UPS's yesterday. A couple APC UPS 1000's...and other misc. 300-600VA models. Batteries dead on all of them...and not quite as nice as the others. Not free this time:(...paid $20 for all of them (mostly for the two 1000VA units).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You did the right thing Nick as the original Mac Pros, which are in fact Xeon Dual Cores, will upgrade to a Quad Core only, either the X5355 2.66GHz or X5365 3GHz. The eight cores will not function in the original Mac Pro. For what it is worth, all indications are the Lion OS X.7 will install on the 32 bit Mac Pro 1.1. You did sell it too cheap. Down Under the 2.66GHz Mac Pro still brings $1200-$1400 and that is worth more than the greenback!

And here I went to all the trouble of putting in my avatar a snap of our baby girl Pembroke Corgi Alamosa Bit of a Smasher!

You will keep!

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You did the right thing Nick as the original Mac Pros will upgrade to a Quad Core only, either the X5355 2.66GHz or X 5365 3GHz. The eight cores will not function in the original Mac Pro. For what it is worth, all indications are the Lion OS X.7 will install on the 32 bit Mac Pro 1.1.

Thanks Harry!:)

I thought I saw a "DIY" somewhere on the internet where someone upgraded a quad-core Mac Pro 1,1 to an 8-core. Maybe I was mistaken. Either way...it would cost too darn much $$$/£££!!! Better to sell the old Mac Pro 1,1...and get a newer one.

- Nick

p.s. By the way...thanks for that 32-bit EFI info for the Mac Pro 1,1 in that earlier thread I mentioned above!:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.