Filevault Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD
Considering using firevault, but have a question. Does anyone that uses firevault notice any speed degradation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
DONT USE IT !!!!!! WARNING edit to come

EDIT : I and many others here will advise not to use FV. Unless you have some secret squirrel stuff to hide from the world DONT USE IT !!
There are problems with FV where once your HD gets to a certain storage level, being encrypted you wont be able to do anything bc it ill tell you, you havnt enough free space on yourHD to beable to un-encrypt the data. Have a read of this thread; People's take on FileVault.

So unless you work for the ubersecret society please heed the warning. I hate to see people loose all there data. If you read the whole thread you will see the problems i had trying to get all my data back. . . .
Hope this helps :)

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD
TatooedMac . . .

Thanks for not answering my question about speed degradation, but answering the question I should have asked - whether to use firevault at all. I use TrueCrypt on my Windows Desktop and it works great for stuff like bank account info, etc. I thought firevault might be an easy, built in alternative. I understand that the soon to be released Lion OS is supposed to provide full disk encryption. I think I'll wait and let some others test it to see if Apple addressed the problems you and others have encountered.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea well i thought if you really wanted to use it after reading my thread you would ask again about the speed. I just thought it better to warn you off.
Yea im looking froward to looking at 10.7 bc i also have read they are doing things with the FV system . . . .
wIf you want to keep stuff safe you can encrypt files into a encrypted .dmg via disk utility. . . How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image in Mac OS X 10.3 or later . . . for security its the best i can offer :)
Or like me i bought 1Password after my mishap and some good suggestions from other members . . .

Oh to answer you question, from memory it wasnt a significant increase in speed. I just upped my RAM

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.