"V" Key Broken - Possible to Remap?

Reaction score
The "V" key on my aluminum bluetooth keyboard does not work. I only use this keyboard with my Mac Mini (running 10.6) as an HTPC with Plex, so it is not worth me buying a new keyboard. I want to remap another key, or a combination of keys, to type a "V" since the V key does not work.

I have searched the forums, and only found how to remap the command/control keys, but I have not found how to basically re-assign another key to type a V.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
well I would say copy the letter v then just cmd+v every time but....

Really though copy and paste is the only thing I know to do. You can remap the copy command of course though.

OP
S
Reaction score
It had to be the V! I currently do the copy/paste method, but with my mouse. How do I remap the copy command to use another letter?

Reaction score
Instead of remapping, in your case it's better to simply create a new keyboard layout.
Download Ukulele: Ukelele
Select "Create new layout from current input source"
Copy-paste the V to where you want it (eg alt-C or some key that you're not using)
Give it a name in Keyboard>"Set Keyboard name" so that you can tell it apart in the input menu
Save as keyboard layout, put it in ~/Library/Keyboard layouts
Now select it as input source in the International system preference pane.

It's done and you won't need to have a program constantly running like if you were using a remapper!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.