load OS 9 onto OS 10??

G

gp101

Brand new PB G4 w/ OS 10 Tiger.

Just got it and tried loading a program I used to use on Windows (yes, it has a Mac installer as well) onto my PB; Move Magic. I get a message that I don't have a OS 9 Classics folder. Movie Magic is from 2000, and was made with OS 9 in mind. When I try installing the program from disk the message from my current OS is to load a copy of OS 9 Classics from the CD-Roms that came w/ my PB. Sure enough, one of the disks has OS 9. I'm assured that I can't run my PB on OS 9; it's only there supposedly to open apps that require 9.

I haven't loaded 9 yet because I have a couple questions:

Will this be like having 2 OS's on my PB? Won't that take up a lot of room, slow performance? Won't OS 9 run in the b.g. even though I'm using OS 10?

If I load OS 9, and then Movie Magic, can I then uninstall OS 9? Will Movie Magic still run without the 9 Classics folder around? I'm wondering if it needs OS 9 just to install, but will run fine if 9 is taken out after.

I'd like to avoid buying an updated version of Movie Magic considering it's expensive. Thanks in advance for your advice.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
gp101 said:
Will this be like having 2 OS's on my PB?
Yes.

gp101 said:
Won't that take up a lot of room, slow performance?
It will take up some space. It should not effect performance.

gp101 said:
Won't OS 9 run in the b.g. even though I'm using OS 10?
OS 9 (classic) will run as a process with in OS X.

gp101 said:
If I load OS 9, and then Movie Magic, can I then uninstall OS 9?
No, you will not be able to run Movie Magic with out the classic (OS 9) environment.

gp101 said:
Will Movie Magic still run without the 9 Classics folder around?
No, see above.

gp101 said:
I'm wondering if it needs OS 9 just to install, but will run fine if 9 is taken out after.
YOU will need OS 9 to install it and to run it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The "classic" environment is like an emulation program: It takes up resources for as long as you are using it. But you can end it at any time and then it will close and only take up some space on your harddrive.

You'll need it any time you want to run a program for OS 9 - not all will work though.

OP
G

gp101

Thanks, both of you. Very helpful advice, and I am no longer sweating having OS 9 on my HD because of your comments.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.