QuickTime Player help!

Reaction score
yesterday i removed a lot of applications that i don't need anymore (i used CleanMyMac) and i think but accident i removed quicktime cause i cant find it and when i click a video it says i cant use quicktime. I've tried to reinstall it buy it says i cant because i have QuickTime X installed, which i cant find anywhere. How can i get quicktime back. i know i could use a different media software but i only like QT.
I dont want to reinstall my OS because i have 600GB of movies on my hard drive and i have know way to back them up.
please help!!

27" iMac - Snow Leopard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do not use "clean up" utilities such as CleanMyMac for the very reason you just gave. QuickTime X is actually the QuickTime Player.app which should be in your Applications folder. Are you sure that's not there?

The other QuickTime application is QT version 7 which should be located in your Applications, Utility folder. QT 7 is hard to find. I was only able to find the Windows version on CNET.

Also, you definitely need to purchase an external hard drive and start using Time Machine to make backups. If your internal hard drive fails, you're going to lose all those movies you have stored on it. And if you had been using Time Machine, you could quickly restore the QT that was deleted.

OP
S
Reaction score
i've looked and i cant see it in the Applications and even if i did have a external hard drive i couldnt reinstall the OS because i dont have the disks to reinstall it with.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now you have two things to buy: A replacement disk set and an external hard drive. Contact Apple for replacement disks. External hard drives are inexpensive. Check Amazon, NewEgg, Tiger Direct, etc.

Without backups and no install disks, you're playing Russian Roulette with your 600 GB of movies.

Go to the following LINK to download QuickTime 7.

Reaction score
QT not working

I do have a Snow Leopard disk and after having trouble with Quicktime X and Quicktime 7 opening files (error-50) which happened after a non related Snow Leopard re-instal. I tried to go back and reinstall both versions, the version 7 from the optional instal on the disk.I cannot get either of them to work and I am getting really desperate.
I have the latest Perian and Flip4Mac installed too, Would these programs be causing any conflict ?

My three external drives are full so Time Machine was obviously not in use....I know, a shame.....

Any suggestions for getting QT running again....?
Thanks
Limey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.