My mbp is always powered, best battery maintenance?

Reaction score
Hi, i just bought a new 15" mbp after my 2008 model died (motherboard) I use it 90% of the time with external cinema display 23"(no power plug for mbp) external keyboard, mouse etc,... So because of the external display i have to keep the laptop powered all the time. I have been told it kills the battery. So what to do? Disconnect the laptop and discharge the battery completely once a month? Thank you for your advises!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It won't hurt the battery to keep it fully charged at all times.

Here's what Apple recommends as far as your battery goes:

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
It won't hurt the battery to keep it fully charged at all times.

Here's what Apple recommends as far as your battery goes:

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

From the site you provided
"For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."

What is making you keep it powered at all times? Mirror the desktop and leave the computer open and on while you are using it to give the battery a little workout.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I was at the Apple Store today, at the Genius bar due to a problem with my battery. Related to your question. But here's the background first: Bought this MacBook Pro 34 months ago. Relevant because the Apple Care runs out in June. While living in Europe last year, the battery stopped charging, and thus, at some point, I wasn't able to turn the MBP back on, since it isn't able to simply run on mains alone. The Apple authorized service center in Hungary replaced the logic board and supposedly put a new battery in.. Though from what the Genius told me today, it wasn't a new battery, but rather a "service parts battery".

I told the genius the same think that you've told us.. that I keep my MBP in clamshell mode and work with an external monitor, so 98% of the time it's plugged in. I also let him know that I try and calibrate my battery at least once a month. Apparently, this isn't enough. He suggested (and this is what he does) that whenever the MBP isn't in use, but is still on (whether or not it's sleeping) just flick the magsafe adapter out and let the battery drain. As said above, the electrons need to keep moving in order to maintain better health.

So now I've pretty much messed up my battery, and will have to get a new one.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
From the site you provided

What is making you keep it powered at all times? Mirror the desktop and leave the computer open and on while you are using it to give the battery a little workout.

Doing this makes zero difference. When you're working, it doesn't matter if it's open or closed. The LCD drains the battery, but having it off doesn't matter as much as having the MacBook be asleep or idle when it's plugged in.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
While it's not optimal to leave it plugged in at all times, I don't think it will do any damage to it either. In my organization, I support several hundred laptops and I would venture to guess that 95% of them rarely, if ever, leave the dock. Our batteries typically still have a usable charge after 3 years. So to add color to my statement above - it won't damage your battery, but it's not optimal for the sake of longevity.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Battery chemistry is not a precise science.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Doing this makes zero difference. When you're working, it doesn't matter if it's open or closed. The LCD drains the battery, but having it off doesn't matter as much as having the MacBook be asleep or idle when it's plugged in.

Doug

My only point in saying open the lid was that I thought the computer would automatically sleep if it was unplugged and closed even if a monitor was plugged in. If this is not the case then by all means just unplug it. You might as well just leave it unplugged most of the time actually.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just to prove these things are not all that scientific yet:

My wife has never used her MB while not plugged in. It has been used on battery only when I borrow it. And I don't think I've touched it in over 6 months a this time.

It is now 47 months old.
Design Capacity was 5020 mah
Current Capacity - 5232 mah
104% of original
Loadcycles - 28
That battery has been calibrated to this date, exactly one (1) time.

Meanwhile on my MBP (which is just a few months older), that does get used according to all the prevailing "wisdom" of keeping the electrons "flowing", monthly calibrations, etc., etc.... I am now on my 3rd battery.

Therefore, I'll say this once again, it's your machine, use it in the manner that best suits your lifestyle, quit worrying about the stupid battery, quit being concerned about it... It's minor cost vs time used is not worth the effort and thought involved.

omg, I'd like to have a nickel for every freaking post we've had about batteries in the 4+ years I've been in this forum.

How about:

I just put a new battery in my TV remote control. How should I use it to get the best battery life out of it?

I just got a new car. What should I do to the battery so it lasts the longest time possible?

I'm sorry, I just don't get this obsession with folks about the battery in a computer. And only their computer. With no concern for battery life in a single other thing that they use.

Reaction score
Thanks for the great tips - from first hand experience, no less. Now I have a really good reason to be lazy and avoid "exercising" my battery :)

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you for all your answers, and a special thanks for the usual delicate advises from Mr bobtomay.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
thank you for all your answers, and a special thanks for the usual delicate advises from Mr bobtomay.

lol - yeah, you'll have to forgive me. I reckon every once in awhile I do tend to go a little over the top.

(edit: and btw, I appreciate you putting it so nicely. ;D)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.
Just to prove these things are not all that scientific yet:

My wife has never used her MB while not plugged in. It has been used on battery only when I borrow it. And I don't think I've touched it in over 6 months a this time.

It is now 47 months old.
Design Capacity was 5020 mah
Current Capacity - 5232 mah
104% of original
Loadcycles - 28
That battery has been calibrated to this date, exactly one (1) time.

Meanwhile on my MBP (which is just a few months older), that does get used according to all the prevailing "wisdom" of keeping the electrons "flowing", monthly calibrations, etc., etc.... I am now on my 3rd battery.

Therefore, I'll say this once again, it's your machine, use it in the manner that best suits your lifestyle, quit worrying about the stupid battery, quit being concerned about it... It's minor cost vs time used is not worth the effort and thought involved.

omg, I'd like to have a nickel for every freaking post we've had about batteries in the 4+ years I've been in this forum.

How about:

I just put a new battery in my TV remote control. How should I use it to get the best battery life out of it?

I just got a new car. What should I do to the battery so it lasts the longest time possible?

I'm sorry, I just don't get this obsession with folks about the battery in a computer. And only their computer. With no concern for battery life in a single other thing that they use.

I thoroughly agree that going completely out of your way to get your battery to last longer defeats the purpose of buying an Apple Macbook. Generally people buy these computers because they are intuitive and don't require a genius to get the best life / performance out of them.

However, at the same time a new battery costs anywhere between 150-300 (rough guess based on experience, i haven't checked prices recently). As such if your macbook sits on a desk/bench plugged in all day and a simple alteration that requires minimal effort can greatly extend the life of your battery and save you having to purchase a new one then why on earth wouldn't you do it?

Obviously your post implies that having your battery plugged in full time doesn't harm the battery but the original poster obviously didn't know this at the time of posting (yes he/she could've searched but that isn't the point i'm trying to make).

Take for example car tyres. Everyone knows that a sustained pressure extends the life of your tyre. In the same scenario your above post is recommending you trust the tyres will keep the air by themselves and let them be unless you get a flat, when a simple pressure check could greatly extend the life of your tyres (or in this case battery and instead of pressure the OP was asking about calibrations).

OP
S
Reaction score
not to mention that a dead battery is not environmentally friendly... but anyways, no big deal, i really appreciate these forums and the precious help they provide. Here is what i have found there: MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - I'm calibrating my battery every day! Good or bad ?
"AppleCare support recommends that if you leave your Mac plugged in most of the time, unplug it every 2 or 3 days and run on battery down to somewhere around 50%, then plug it back in. That keeps the electrons moving".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.