Emac start up problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh dear, Powermac G5 DP 2.0Ghz 160GigHDD
Hi all,

I have an Emac 1.25/1g/40ghdd, and left it tuned off and disconnected from any power for a couple of weeks, wouldn't start! just grey screen with apple logo then would turn itself off.
So, I put in a new pram battery and same problem. Also, on the apple support page is shows a picture where the reset button is under the service flap at bottom of machine, I couldn't see it where pictured (shows next to ram slots right where battery is located) but on other side of ram is what looks like a small shiny metal button which you can feel a tiny click when pushing gently on it, anyway also tried resetting through:
reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all
Machine appeared to try to boot up but same as before, turned itself off. Have tried holding "c" when booting up and AppleCommandPR to no avail. Also with Tiger OS discs (given to me when I bought it, are copies ie not orig apply cd's) when booting up - nothing. These cd's worked ok to install Tiger originally on but nothing now. Tried it with Leopard disc too.
The machine for last 2 years has been reliable but just being disconnected from any power and not being used daily for 2 weeks seems to have stuffed it.

If anyone could help out would be much appreciated, cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Certain eMac machines (1.25 GHz models) are known to have power supply problems due to defective capacitors. Usually, you can spot the capacitors (they're electro type) easy enough because they will appear to be swollen. A defective power supply will cause the machine to shut down.

A capacitor kit can be bought and the defective units (caps) can be replaced with good ones. Of course you have to have some knowledge of how to remove the defective ones (unsolder them) and solder in the replacements.

Take all that into consideration as it may be best to just replace the eMac with a more modern intel machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

As chscag says, sure sounds like the dreaded 1.25GHz capacitor problems. Some years ago Apple introduced a replacement scheme even after the warranty had expired, but that concluded about 2006, from memory. This is what the problem looks like:-

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Capacitor_plague

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh dear, Powermac G5 DP 2.0Ghz 160GigHDD
chscag
harryb2448

thanks guys,

pulled cover off machine and opened it up a little, capacitors appear in perfect consition suprisingly! so just removed the hard drive and the rest is now e waste

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to hear the eMac is on its way to being recycled. You should be able to pick up a used Intel machine for less than what it would have cost to repair the eMac. Happy hunting. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.