Getting SSD for Late 2010 MBP

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I purchased a MBP late in 2010. It was maxed out in specs aside from the hard drive which was just a 500gb 7200rpm. I'm looking to get an OCZ SSD:

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps Sandforce SF-2281 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

I was curious if my MBP would support SATA 3. From what I have read, it appears only new 2011 MBP's have this. Is that correct? Should I just stick with a SATA 2 drive? The read/write speeds on that drive are around 500mbs. Would I get that with SATA 2? The other drive I was looking at is:

OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

It only only has 225mbs read and 80mbs write.

Does anyone have any suggestions for SSD's? Also, are there any suggestions or concerns with purchasing an SSD for MBP's?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wes

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was looking at OWC drives. Could I get 500mbs speeds on SATA 2? Or am I only looking around 220mbps?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.