Please help- driving me mad...

Reaction score
Just received an Apple TV (2nd gen) as a present. Setting up seemed pretty straightforwatd, except connecting iTunes (10) and the device. The Apple TV does not show up in iTunes. Having searched various forums, I keep being advised to check 'search for Apple TVs' in iTunes preferences. Problem is, no such box/command exists in iTunes preferences.
This is driving me bloody mad. Anyone?:Confused:

Reaction score
Have you turned on home sharing? In tunes it will be under "advanced". Once it is turned on you will need to do the same on the Apple TV.

OP
D
Reaction score
Have you turned on home sharing? In tunes it will be under "advanced". Once it is turned on you will need to do the same on the Apple TV.

Yes, home sharing has been turned on/off/on etc. Using same password for both. Have restarted both devices a number of times. Why can't these devices be simple?!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This device is simple.
TV wont show up in devices unless you restore it. Because it hasnt got a HD as such to stream the movies from, there is no need for it to show in iTunes Devices.
I can get it to show if i hook it up via Micro USB but the only thing i can now do with it is restore it to factory setting via iTunes or to JB it.
May i ask why you want it to show in iTunes ??
If i want to "use" iTunes to stream a movie instead of using the ATV2 to stream it then you still can, by using the drop down

20110426-jfuu7fxg717akhdsak13d9x5gw.jpg
. . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, home sharing has been turned on/off/on etc. Using same password for both. Have restarted both devices a number of times. Why can't these devices be simple?!!

It's extreemely simply, you're just over thinking it. The ATV 2 will not show up in iTunes (unlike the ATV 1) so don't worry about it.

Once both your computer and the ATV 2 are logged into your iTines account go to the Apple TV and select "COMPUTERS" and select yours from the drop down menu. This will bring up and display your iTunes libary on the ATV 2. From there you simply choose what you want to play.

That's really about it.

OP
D
Reaction score
This device is simple.
TV wont show up in devices unless you restore it. Because it hasnt got a HD as such to stream the movies from, there is no need for it to show in iTunes Devices.
I can get it to show if i hook it up via Micro USB but the only thing i can now do with it is restore it to factory setting via iTunes or to JB it.
May i ask why you want it to show in iTunes ??
If i want to "use" iTunes to stream a movie instead of using the ATV2 to stream it then you still can, by using the drop down

20110426-jfuu7fxg717akhdsak13d9x5gw.jpg
. . .

Yeah, understood. Got it figured now- just got my wires crossed. Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
It's extreemely simply, you're just over thinking it. The ATV 2 will not show up in iTunes (unlike the ATV 1) so don't worry about it.

Once both your computer and the ATV 2 are logged into your iTines account go to the Apple TV and select "COMPUTERS" and select yours from the drop down menu. This will bring up and display your iTunes libary on the ATV 2. From there you simply choose what you want to play.

That's really about it.

Yes- it IS very simple and I WAS over-thinking it, to be honest. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Another happy customer. Dont be shy and be sure to return :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes- it IS very simple and I WAS over-thinking it, to be honest. Thanks for your input.

Sorry if my original post came across the wrong way. I have found that many folks, myself included, expect things to be far more complicated than they really are. I see it a lot with folks who come over from the Windows world. Apologies if I offended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.