Iphoto help please

Reaction score
I currently have an external hard drive where I keep all of my pictures.

One day when I was in a rush, I clicked on the Iphoto application without my external hard drive plugged in. I proceeded to upload photos in this brand new iphoto library and continued to do so for a couple months.

I must have pressed something wrong in the last couple weeks and now when I click on the iphoto app without my external plugged in, I can't find that old library with a couple hundred photos on it.

Can anyone help? does this make sense?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I currently have an external hard drive where I keep all of my pictures.

One day when I was in a rush, I clicked on the Iphoto application without my external hard drive plugged in. I proceeded to upload photos in this brand new iphoto library and continued to do so for a couple months.

I must have pressed something wrong in the last couple weeks and now when I click on the iphoto app without my external plugged in, I can't find that old library with a couple hundred photos on it.

Can anyone help? does this make sense?

No, honestly it doesn't.

I understand that you can't access one of your iPhoto Libraries, but not which one. Are you failing to find the original (on the external HD) or the new one you created by mistake?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is possible that you accidently created a 3rd iPhoto Library (this one being empty).
I don't have access to my Mac right now, but you should be able to find the old Library using Spotlight in Finder. If you double-click on it while not in iPhoto, iPhoto should open using that Library.
I'll see if I can run down the specific folder to look in. If I find it before you locate your missing Library I'll edit this post.

EDIT: Typical place for your iPhoto Library would be USERS>{Your User}>Pictures>iPhoto Library

OP
A
Reaction score
I double clicked and a pop up appeared that said "click on iphoto library that you wish to open."

Except the only thing is..there isnt any to double click :(
Maybe it deleted? I don't know.

I very much appreciate your help!

Thank you again!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I double clicked and a pop up appeared that said "click on iphoto library that you wish to open."

Except the only thing is..there isnt any to double click :(
Maybe it deleted? I don't know.

I very much appreciate your help!

Thank you again!
If you locate the Library using Finder it should be an icon similar to the iPhoto icon. That is what you should be double clicking . . . not sure what you double clicked, though I guess it is possible your Library has been corrupted. If so, still all may not be lost.
There are others on this forum who may weigh in, but one thing that will help is if you will be more specific on exactly what is going on.

EXAMPLE: I double clicked and a pop up appeared that said "click on iphoto library that you wish to open."
You don't say what you double clicked, where you found it or anything else. Being specific helps a lot in figuring out what is happening since I/We can't see your computer screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I have my iphoto application deleted, will be getting a replacement disk from apple, i know this is application disk 2, will I be able to pick and choose just this application to add to my dock ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.