I need help desperately!!!

Reaction score
I am running snowleopard 10.6.7 on my macbook pro. Recently not a single one of my browsers will allow to access anything to do with yahoo. I cannot figure out why this is happening. I have updated all my browsers to their latest version and tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still nothing. I have cleared my cache and cookies? Please someone help!! I can't access my work email :'(

Reaction score
Are you able to access all other sites without problem? Which browsers are you trying? Are you able to ping Yahoo using the Network Utility (Applications > Utilities > Network Utility)?

And don't fret -- this forum is filled with good, knowledgeable people. You'll be up and running in no time at all.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you able to access all other sites without problem? Which browsers are you trying? Are you able to ping Yahoo using the Network Utility (Applications > Utilities > Network Utility)?

And don't fret -- this forum is filled with good, knowledgeable people. You'll be up and running in no time at all.

I seem to be able to ping yahoo. I am using Google Chrome mostly but also have opera, firefox, safari as I am currently studying web scripting and was told to install those browsers too. And I can connect to everything else with no problems at all. Maybe a few sites I have a problem with but on the majority I can connect to anything. When I say a few I literally mean like two or three that I wouldn't be able to remember if you asked me. The error i get is Oops! "Google Chrome could not connect to www.yahoo.com" and a similar thing in the other browsers Thank you

Reaction score
While I always reserve the right to be wrong, it doesn't sound like you have anything serious going on... Intermittent, but specific, failures like this, in my experience, are usually the result of DNS issues.

I would suggest changing to something like OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) or Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) as a trial to see if anything changes. You can adjust your DNS settings your System Preferences > Network panel.

Good Luck

OP
M
Reaction score
While I always reserve the right to be wrong, it doesn't sound like you have anything serious going on... Intermittent, but specific, failures like this, in my experience, are usually the result of DNS issues.

I would suggest changing to something like OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) or Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) as a trial to see if anything changes. You can adjust your DNS settings your System Preferences > Network panel.

Good Luck

I am using an airport so I take it I go to advanced and then DNS now I see available DNS Servers and Search Domains. Under my DNS servers it has my routers IP address where would I change and add OpenDNS or Google's DNS? And I know this is most likely a stupid question but changing this wont have any effect on the security of my network or computer right? :| thank you for your help by the way

Reaction score
DNS merely acts an enormous phone directory, of sorts. When you type "Yahoo.com," effectively you're looking up the phone number (IP Address) of Yahoo, and your computer will dial for you. Changing your DNS settings should in no way impair your security.

As for adjusting your DNS:

System Preferences > Network > [select your connection] > Advanced > DNS

In the left side, if your DNS server is grey (usually the case when it references your router), just click the + button below the left box, and put in the first IP address and press [ENTER]. Then click + again and input the second entry and press [ENTER].

Then click OK, then Apply. Then restart your airport connection. You should be all set after that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about asking your ISP if they're blocking Yahoo! for some reason?

Also do this: Navigate to: MacIntosh HD/private/etc/hosts

And make a copy of your hosts file and post it here. The hosts file is in plain text.

OP
M
Reaction score
How about asking your ISP if they're blocking Yahoo! for some reason?

Also do this: Navigate to: MacIntosh HD/private/etc/hosts

And make a copy of your hosts file and post it here. The hosts file is in plain text.

Ok this is rather worrying...I don't have a private folder and therefor no hosts file....what is this used for and howcome this suddenly disappeared? Sorry really trying here to understand but dont usually touch this side of my computer I am just a graphic designer :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure your private folder is missing? Are you looking under the root MacIntosh HD and not your User folder? Because if your private folder is missing that also means the sub folder "etc" is likewise missing and along with that many files which are required for OS X to run.

Look again: MacIntosh HD/private/etc/hosts

Use your Finder and navigate down from the top (which should be your MacIntosh HD).

This is what the hosts file looks like and contains:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

The reason I asked you to post it, is that it's possible for Yahoo to be blocked by the hosts file.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you sure your private folder is missing? Are you looking under the root MacIntosh HD and not your User folder? Because if your private folder is missing that also means the sub folder "etc" is likewise missing and along with that many files which are required for OS X to run.

Look again: MacIntosh HD/private/etc/hosts

Use your Finder and navigate down from the top (which should be your MacIntosh HD).

This is what the hosts file looks like and contains:

##
# Host Database
#
##
127.0.0.1 localhost

The reason I asked you to post it, is that it's possible for Yahoo to be blocked by the hosts file.

Oops sorry seems the folders were hidden I had to use an app to make them visible...this is my host file.
Wish I had paid more attention when this computer was being setup for me by my friend :p

##
# Host Database
#
##
127.0.0.1 localhost

C

chas_m

chscag: you need to explain to people that you are referring to a HIDDEN file. Not everyone knows that.

mindgames: there was an easier way to access this file: in the Finder, go to the Go menu, choose "Go to folder" and type in the directory path chscag gave you. But your way worked as well, just be sure to set all those folders that were invisible BACK to being invisible. Very important.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops sorry seems the folders were hidden I had to use an app to make them visible...this is my host file.
Wish I had paid more attention when this computer was being setup for me by my friend

Sorry about that. I had forgotten it was hidden since I use the handy free file manager "muCommander" most of the time in lieu of the Finder. It shows hidden folders and files.

Your host file is OK. Have you checked in with your ISP to see if they can shed some light on what's happening?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.