Afghanistan + MacBook Pro = Disaster

Reaction score
Hello all. First off, I'm new to the forums, and this is my first post. So please forgive me if this is in the wrong section. And please god avoid hitting me with the ever so popular "search" response as usual on most forum websites.

Onto the story. Returned from Afghanistan about 11 months ago and have finally had it with starring at my broken screen. During a firefight, my Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro was knocked off my bed, cracking the glass screen (cracks spider across the entire screen). The display housing (thing with apple logo) was also bent badly in each of the corners...(it was a big fall). The actual LCD portion of the screen works fine, so no need to replace that. I have been searching everywhere to find out where to buy the display housing only. I know where to get the glass portion, and I know how to perform the repairs myself...I just can't seem to bring myself to pay $900 to replace a perfectly good screen. If anyone has any clue where to buy one for a reasonable price, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I suggest is keep your eye out on eBay for the same machine as yours but in "not working condition". Many times you can pick a machine up like that for much less than trying to buy an individual part like the housing.

Be aware though that even totally inoperative MBPs will still be costly. You might also consider doing the same by shopping on your local Craig's List. At least there you may have some chance of knocking the price down.

OP
A
Reaction score
Be aware though that even totally inoperative MBPs will still be costly. You might also consider doing the same by shopping on your local Craig's List. At least there you may have some chance of knocking the price down.

Good point. Have seen a few on CL but none in 'non working' condition yet. Thanks.

You could try here.

Checking it out. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
You might talk to the folks at iResq. They're charging $139 to replace the glass, but it doesn't say how much to replace the rear display housing. Full display replacement is about $699. Good luck, thanks for your service, and welcome home!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.