imac g4 memory upgrade options

Reaction score
I have an iMAC G4 20inch with 1.25 Ghz 160GB HD but only 1gb ram. I have read on some other forums that Apple has set the max upgrade to 1gb. But some posters are saying they have successfully upgraded to 2gb. I wanted to know if anyone has pushed this to 3 or 4gb. I know this Mac is a bit dated but its been reliable and is in dire need of a speed upgrade.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have an iMAC G4 20inch with 1.25 Ghz 160GB HD but only 1gb ram. I have read on some other forums that Apple has set the max upgrade to 1gb. But some posters are saying they have successfully upgraded to 2gb. I wanted to know if anyone has pushed this to 3 or 4gb. I know this Mac is a bit dated but its been reliable and is in dire need of a speed upgrade.

Thanks!

According to EveryMac, the official max capacity is 1 GB, but they do confirm that unofficially, 2GB will work.
iMac G4/1.25 20-Inch "FP" (USB 2.0) Specs (iMac USB 2.0, M9290LL/A, PowerMac6,3, N/A, N/A) @ EveryMac.com

EDIT: As for more than 2GB, that's highly unlikely. You would need a pair of DDR PC2700, 200-pin sticks at 2GB each, and it doesn't appear they even come in that size. And even if they did, there may be other limitations preventing their use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi, I have exactly the same machine running Leopard superbly on 1.5gb RAM.
It has one pc2700 1gb stick up inside (desktop RAM) and a 512mb laptop module under the base, but the max you can have is 2gb - 1gb in each slot.
If yours is currently 2 x 512mb I would change the one in the base to 1gb and see how you go, because to upgrade the other RAM is a pig to do.
I think the RAM needs to be low density or it won't work. Apple branded will obviously work fine, but be more expensive.

Hope this helps, cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Font messed up in web browser, how do I fix it?

I have an iMac and I haven't downloaded any new fonts (that I know of). Both Safari and Firefox display a font that's real skinny and all bunched together. It's definitely readable (it's not symbols or anything) but I have to look close and squint my eyes! It's so annoying! The only new thing I have done is I installed the new Firefox 4. But I don't know why this would affect Safari..? I turned on my computer in Safe Mode to see what would happen and it actually fixed the problem. But once I started it in normal mode again, that font came back. Please help! Sooo frustrated. (I can send a pic via email if that helps.) Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I would start a new thread with that question

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.