Downloading issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, OS X 10.6, 2.16GHz, 2.5GB RAM, 250GB HDD
Hey,

I've been having issues downloading some of the latest updates for my Mac (iMac 5.1 running 10.6.7). An example would be downloading the latest Safari update (5.0.5), the file downloads, but when the iMac restarts an error message pops up stating "corrupt file...unable to install". It has also been doing this with the latest Garbage Band update (6.0.2), and now the latest iPhone update (4.3.2 - a similar message pops up just after downloading stating "file corrupted during download" err = 1403). Obviously I'm getting quite frustrated due to a limited download quota a month. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Matt

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you, by chance, installed any "download accelerator" programs?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the last app I downloaded was MacKeeper, but when I realised I had to pay for it I uninstalled the app. Other than that only Apple updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
No, the last app I downloaded was MacKeeper, but when I realised I had to pay for it I uninstalled the app. Other than that only Apple updates.

Ooooo…. MacKeeper. What a hunk of garbage. It might be the source of your issues. Be sure you really completely removed it.
[Fix-KB] - Uninstall MacKeeper

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just found a few lingering files associates with this app, which have now been securely deleted (pretty ****** seeing as how I didn't even use it), but still having the same error messages come up when trying to download the updates. Thanks for the link though lifeisabeach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As life states, did you actually use the uninstaller?

Also did you use the OS X.6.7 Combo Update? If not it may be a good idea to download that and run it and see if the problems iron themselves out. Also avoid applications like Speed Download etc.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm wondering if you have a hard drive that is failing. You need to check the SMART status, which can be done with Disk Utility or Onyx. If that checks out, try repairing permissions.

EDIT: One other nifty trick to stress-test your hard drive is to use Disk Utility to erase the free space, and use the 7-pass option.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately no luck.
I've been using Disk Utility and Onyx and neither have come up with any issues. All permissions have been repaired, no issues reported.
I've checked out the hard drive and it came up all good, I've erased the free space using 7-pass option.
I'm going to try and install the 10.6.7 combo update to see if that rectifies the problem. Failing that I see no other option than to format and reinstall via the boot discs and upload all my files via Time Machine. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
If anyone else has any ideas they'd be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.