Trying to play Portal 2, having OS issues

Reaction score
I bought Portal 2 and was ready to fire it up, then it said I need OS ver. 10.6.7 to run the game. So I go to the apple website, download it, and the .dmg says I need 10.6 to run the update. I have version 10.5.8.

I'm really out of the loop with Apple updates, and I'm not that computer smart. I can't find a place to update to OS 10.6 for free. I thought I had Snow Leapord? Do I really need to buy this OS update?

Sorry if this question is dumb, but I really have no idea. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Yes, Mac OS 10.5.x is called Leopard. For Portal 2 you need mac OS 10.6.x called Snow Leopard.
So your only option is to get Snow Leopard ($30) and install it, and then software update and let it update to the most recent version of Snow Leopard.
But before you buy Snow Leopard, make sure you have an Intel chip based computer as it will not work on anything else.

d8n6ig5c44jbco8

Reaction score
Yes, Mac OS 10.5.x is called Leopard. For Portal 2 you need mac OS 10.6.x called Snow Leopard.
So your only option is to get Snow Leopard ($30) and install it, and then software update and let it update to the most recent version of Snow Leopard.
But before you buy Snow Leopard, make sure you have an Intel chip based computer as it will not work on anything else.

d8n6ig5c44jbco8

Thats ALMOST correct .. There is actually a whole line of intel macs that cant run Snow Leopard.

You need to make sure that its an intel chip .. AND that its a Core 2 Duo .. If it is only a "Core Duo" it is a 32 bit chip and cant run snow.

1st generation intel macs were all 32 bit .. With the low end minis actually using core solos .. the single core variety ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.