Mouse and keyboard take 8 minutes to work..

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just purchased a macbook pro with a strange problem.. the mouse and keyboard take exactly 8 minutes and 30 seconds to begin working after OS X 10.6.7 has booted up (the mouse will move around the screen and the screen will brighten if it has dimmed, but it cannot interact with the dock or the top menu). This is present in OS X as well as in the installation program and when booting from an external drive. It is not present in the bootcamp partition with windows 7, however (that’s to say, the mouse and keyboard work immediately on boot up when booting into windows 7).
I’ve tried several things already: changing ram, resetting nvram and pram, resetting SMC, applying new thermal paste to cpu and video card, swapping out the i/o board, re-installing the operating system, re-flowing the main chips on the logic board, cleaning out the fans and heat sink fins, changing the battery, changing the charger.. I think that about covers it. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I do not believe the problem is the keyboard/trackpad because it works perfectly when booted into windows seven.. plus works fine after the 8 mins 30 secs on OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be patient no second post after one minute. Is this a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse or USB?

Wondering if Windows 7 is the culprit as I set Ultimate up on my Mac Pro and used with Bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse. When back in Snow Leopard the mouse is very unresponsive and scrolling is painfully slow. Later today am going into Windows 7 Ultimate, and using wired keyboard and mouse deleting Bluetooth to see what happens.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Harry, thank you for the response. No, this is the built-in keyboard and built-in trackpad. I tried plugging in a usb mouse and it exhibited the same symptoms.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a strange issue for sure. Try Resetting the PRAM. Not sure if it will fix it but can't hurt. Shut down, then hit power and right after the startup sound, hold Command+Option+P+R keys all at the same time. Keep them down till you hear a 2nd startup sound.

Also resetting the PMU might help. Not sure on the MBP how to do that but I am sure someone else knows.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all,
I just purchased a macbook pro with a strange problem.. the mouse and keyboard take exactly 8 minutes and 30 seconds to begin working after OS X 10.6.7 has booted up (the mouse will move around the screen and the screen will brighten if it has dimmed, but it cannot interact with the dock or the top menu).

I do not believe the problem is the keyboard/trackpad because it works perfectly when booted into windows seven.. plus works fine after the 8 mins 30 secs on OS X.

One VERY important detail you did not mention is how old or what model MacBook Pro is this. From the way your post is written...this could either be a brand new MacBook Pro...or it could be an older MacBook Pro...that is "new" to you.

If it is an older model (new to you)...it's possible that the hard drive is going bad. If it's a brand new MacBook Pro...this would be strange...thus the first thing you should do is use your warranty & head to the nearest Apple Store.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Dtravis: I have tried resetting the pram and SMC, it didn't help

Pigoo3: Oh, sorry.. it is the 2.0 Ghz core 2 duo machine (I believe it was made in 2006). I have tried booting from an external hard drive and it had the same problem.. so don't think it is the hard drive (unless the internal drive has a bearing on the external..)

Reaction score
Keyboard and Mousepad Unresponsive

Morning All, I have 2 Identical MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) Both have Identical operating systems 10.6.8 with all firmware updates. These are from a cart of 24 that we have in the School District I work for, It takes approximatley 8 to 10 minutes on these two for the Keyboard and Trackpad to become responsive, The trackpad will move the cursor but if you click on the bottom of the pad nothing.. If you type on the keyboard and wait until the letters appear on the Login screen, the laptops become fully responsive and will operate normally until you shut them down...I can't zap the PRAM as the Keyboard is not responsive at startup even when using a external usb keyboard and mouse.. Just working my head around this...

Reaction score
Unresponsive Keyboards

Just got off the phone with Apple.. I'm replacing the MLB on both these laptop's..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.