OSX 10.6 connection issues to Windows 7 server

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum and I hope you guys can help. I currently have 2 OSX 10.6 machines on the network trying to connect to a Windows 7 server. I have all the sharing permissions on the windows box correct because it works half the time (described later). I can ping the windows box successfully and the Windows box can ping both mac machines. I am using smb//:IPAddress/ShareName to connect to the windows machine but I keep returning a generic error saying something like "Cannot connect....Check IP address...".

The strange thing is that I can connect to the windows server AFTER I do a restart. It works flawlessly after that for a while. All I know is the next day I come in and i get the error when trying to connect to the server. The server doesn't go to sleep or put the hard disks to sleep over night. The server stays on along with the Mac computers. It seems that a restart of the server resets something that allows the connection to be made.

I checked in my router settings but there is nothing in there that throws up a red flag to me. The server is assigned a fixed IP address.

Any ideas? I have googled and tried most everything but I haven't found another issue quite like mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Are you running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I would still check the link I posted above. There is a lot more information than I could go over in a single post and I really don't want to rewrite what is already there, from the horse's mouth, so to speak..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.