• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Local TV station visits Apple's data center

Reaction score
Local TV station visits Apple's data center

apple-icon41811-1303597446.jpg
A Fox affiliate in Charlotte, North Carolina took a closer look at Apple's new data center in the town of Maiden. The news story and accompanying video is rife with speculation about the intended usage of this 500,000 square foot building.

Once you get past the references for Apple's supposed "Netflix-Killer" video streaming service, a rumor kicked off by analyst Peter Misek of Jefferies and Company, the video has some shots of the data center and pithy facts about the land Apple occupies.

The short video takes a quick tour of the land around the center and the extensive amount of property that Apple owns. Besides the 180 acres on which the data center sits, the Cupertino company also owns 70 acres right across the street. The data center only takes up one-third of the 180 acre plot, and with over 190 combined acres of land available, some are speculating Apple may be looking to build an East Coast campus.

Locals are certainly enthusiastic about this rumored opportunity. "I'm ready to get the phone call and to proceed with building anything they want," said Scott Millar, President of the Catawba County Economic Development Corporation. Read on to watch the video from the Charlotte news team.

[Via Apple 2.0/Fortune]

Continue reading Local TV station visits Apple's data center

Local TV station visits Apple's data center originally appeared on TUAW on Sun, 24 Apr 2011 14:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Glad they can add.

But then, I guess 180 + 70 is "over 190". :p

Reckon they could be deleting the third being put to use already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
The guy with the Catawba Economic Development really ought to have a Mac on his desk, not a Windoze machine. Microsoft isn't putting any money in the county's pockets, but Apple sure is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If there is truth in this "Netflix killer" thing, Apple will potentially be making lot's of money! But, for some reason, this is one thing I will wait for, instead of guess at what they will actually be using it for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.