Macbook shuts down while plugging in

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been able to find lots of discussions on the internet about Macbook power issues, but not my particular problem.

I bought a Macbook on eBay that had a dead battery. Worked great plugged in except it would shut off occasionally (power interruptions I'm assuming).

I just got a new battery yesterday, popped it in, and it charges and works great. So I can unplug the charger (either from the Macbook or from the wall) and the computer stays on and works fine.

However, the instant I plug it back in (once again, either into the Macbook or the wall), the computer shuts down. This happens 100% of the time. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,
Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" i7 2.2
What is the wattage of the charger and the size of the MacBook Pro? I know that not all chargers are compatible with all models.

OP
R
Reaction score
It's just a regular 13" white Macbook with the 60w charger. The computer will turn back on while it is plugged in and work just fine. It also works just fine if you unplug it. It is only the instant that you plug it back in that it shuts off.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just out of curiosity - does it shut down when you connect the mag safe adapter to the laptop - without the adapter being plugged into the wall? Or does it only shutdown when you plug it into the wall?

OP
R
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity - does it shut down when you connect the mag safe adapter to the laptop - without the adapter being plugged into the wall? Or does it only shutdown when you plug it into the wall?

Excellent point...

I just tried it (unplugged charger from wall, then unplugged from mag safe and plugged back in) and the computer did not shut off. Tested several times and didn't have a problem.

OP
R
Reaction score
And now I just tried plugging it into the wall after doing that and, for the first time since I got the battery, it didn't shut off. What the heck?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
:) I have a few guesses but glad it's working for you now - post back if it stops.

Reaction score
I have exactly the same issue.

I bought a used Macbook White (Feb 2008 model) with excellent condition.

I can charge my Mac without problem. The battery health is at 86% and can last for 3-4 hours. The seller said it is his second battery. I'm not sure it is a genuine battery or not. If I charge it until full, shut it down, and leave it for a day, the battery reduces to 80%.

Whenever I plug my Magsafe, my Mac shuts itself down immediately. It happens every time, no exception.

No problem when removing Magsafe from Macbook.

Try searching for cause and solution without success. Need help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hey people

I have the exact same problem. 2008 MacBook, just bought a third party battery for it.
Wondering (and hoping) if you found a solution?

cheers

Reaction score
Hey people

I have the exact same problem. 2008 MacBook, just bought a third party battery for it.
Wondering (and hoping) if you found a solution?

cheers

So you don't have such problem before changing to a new battery?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some third party batteries have been known to cause problems. I know it's tempting to buy an inexpensive replacement battery instead of a genuine Apple battery or substitute since they're more expensive.

I'm not saying the battery you bought is at fault but we have had many users report problems with third party inexpensive batteries that I do not recommend anything but a genuine Apple or good substitute battery.

The folks at OWC sell a very high quality replacement battery that is actually better than the Apple original. ($99.00)

Reaction score
Same Problem

I know no one has commented on this in a while, but my 2008 MacBook is now having the same issue. I have the original battery in it but today it started shutting off when I plug it in and once I get it plugged in, it takes a few attempts to get the light on the charger to turn on. The only way to fix this issue is to reset the computer (taking out the battery and holding down the power button). Any ideas on a better solution or if this means the charger (or charging port) is dying!
I have had charger issues in the past and am on my 4th charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I know no one has commented on this in a while, but my 2008 MacBook is now having the same issue. I have the original battery in it but today it started shutting off when I plug it in and once I get it plugged in, it takes a few attempts to get the light on the charger to turn on. The only way to fix this issue is to reset the computer (taking out the battery and holding down the power button). Any ideas on a better solution or if this means the charger (or charging port) is dying!
I have had charger issues in the past and am on my 4th charger.

There is a charge protection circuit which will immediately shut off the battery if it detects overcharging symptoms and also...if your battery is struggling to kick into life and it's 4 years old then it's more than likely seen better days.

You can see solve known issues with the charge protection circuit by resetting the SMC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...resetting-smc-macbook-late-2008-aluminum.html

Reaction score
I am now having the same issue as this Person. I replaced the I/O today but it is still powering down when I plug in the MagSafe to charge. I’ve tested in several outlets. Now, when the MagSafe charger is unplugged from the wall and inserted into the MagSafe I/O board it doesn’t shut computer down. Why did you ask this out of curiosity? Do you know something?

The usb and earphone jack seem to work fine. I have attempted to reset SMC and PRAM but didn’t work.

My next step is replacing the I/O board cable.

Do you have any suggestions?

Reaction score

I am now having the same issue as this Person but I’m dealing with 2012 mid. I replaced the I/O today but it is still powering down when I plug in the MagSafe to charge. I’ve tested in several outlets. Now, when the MagSafe charger is unplugged from the wall and inserted into the MagSafe I/O board it doesn’t shut computer down. Why did you ask this out of curiosity? Do you know something?

The usb and earphone jack seem to work fine. I have attempted to reset SMC and PRAM but didn’t work.

My next step is replacing the I/O board cable.

Do you have any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.