Question about iMac and Cinema Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" i7 2.2
I was thinking about getting an iMac whenever they're updated next with Sandy Bridge. I already own a MacBook Pro and Cinema Display, and I had a question about the Cinema Display and iMac.

Do they line up correctly? As in, do the screens on both line up nicely so they can be extended with no (vertical) space between?

It'd seem stupid for Apple to make two products with the same screen sizes and stands that don't line up correctly, so I just wanted to double check, since the iMac has the little aluminum ridge and the Cinema doesn't.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was thinking about getting an iMac whenever they're updated next with Sandy Bridge. I already own a MacBook Pro and Cinema Display, and I had a question about the Cinema Display and iMac.

Do they line up correctly? As in, do the screens on both line up nicely so they can be extended with no (vertical) space between?

It'd seem stupid for Apple to make two products with the same screen sizes and stands that don't line up correctly, so I just wanted to double check, since the iMac has the little aluminum ridge and the Cinema doesn't.

That's an interesting question, though I wouldn't go so far to call it stupid if they don't line up. I can't say from personal observation, but let's check the specs.

The 27" iMac and 27" Cinema Display both have the same native resolution of 2560 by 1440, which is a positive. As for the relevant dimensions:

27" Cinema Display:
Height: 19.35 inches (49.1 cm)
Width: 25.7 inches (65 cm)

27" iMac:
Height: 20.4 inches (51.7 cm)
Width: 25.6 inches (65.0 cm)

So it's close, but no cigar, although I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility that the iMac has slightly more black glass space above the usable display, in which case maybe they do line up perfectly. Otherwise, since the Cinema Display is slightly lower, perhaps you could simply add a rubber riser or something underneath the stand to line it up.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" i7 2.2
It appears that the bezel of glass on the iMac and Cinema are the same size, meaning the height isn't offset and they don't line up :(

That just seems weird to me, since they're obviously designed to the same specs and ALMOST the same dimensions. You'd think that they would want to have the displays line up right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.