• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac OS X Lion sporting 1024x1024 icons, 3200x2000 wallpapers; Retina display Macs com

Reaction score
Mac OS X Lion sporting 1024x1024 icons, 3200x2000 wallpapers; Retina display Macs coming?

lionretina-wallpaper.jpg

MacMagazine.com.br has posted an interesting find. Apparently the latest build of Lion includes some icons which are sized at 1024x1024. That's twice the current 512x512 size of icons in Snow Leopard (four times the pixel count, but 2x larger in each dimension). Additionally, on April 2nd, Mac blog OSXDaily found some of the default wallpaper resolutions in Lion to be as large as 3200Ã?2000 pixels.

These wallpaper and icon size increases are interesting because, as far as the wallpaper resolution goes, Apple currently does not make a display that supports that high of a pixel density. Given the fact that Apple is bumping up its icon and wallpaper sizes, it could point to a future where Macs sport high-density Retina displays.

Indeed, MacRumors points out that Apple has built in support for HiDPI display modes in Lion. "These HiDPI modes allow developers to supply 2x-enlarged images to support double-high resolution displays," according to MacRumors. "Like the iPhone 4's Retina Display, this means that user interface elements will remain the same size, but everything will be twice the resolution and, therefore, twice as detailed."

Mac OS X Lion sporting 1024x1024 icons, 3200x2000 wallpapers; Retina display Macs coming? originally appeared on TUAW on Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
Sounds pretty sweet to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" i7 2.2
Probably just future proofing, since as I recall Leopard didn't have wallpapers for 2650x1440.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I would upgrade in a heartbeat for a retina display Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wouldn't call it future proofing when they are also increasing the app sizes. The iMac has 2650X1440, and wallpapers can be found for it. To me, it seems like they are going to introduce either a large monitor(iMac TV?), or some other kind of integrated screen. 3200X2000 is a lot of resolution to put into something, when current resolutions are truly made for the standard web viewing sizes. It could happen, who knows, but I have a real hard time wrapping my head around that high of a resolution coming to normal MBP's.
However, if Apple can find a way for all this to work, for the normal consumer, imo, it will be a game changer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.