Hotel internet connection help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
hi..

I am booked into a hotel that offers broadband in your room. It is not clear whether this is delivered through a wireless medium or through a modem socket on the wall.

I have airport on my ibook but wasnt sure if I would need anything other than my standard modem cable should it be through a wall socket.

Any suggestions? My ibook is a uk one and I am visiting Hong Kong, if this has any bearing?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well you won't be able to use your modem cable which is just a telephone line. You'll want to have a LAN cable for a wired connection. If it's wireless you'll be all set since you have Airport.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lan Cable huh? I will have to have a look at the airport for one of these...Thanks for the quick response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i've had experience with both. for wired connections they provide the cable, all you have to do plug in. for wireless you usually have to ask the front desk person for the instructions for logging into the network. if you have questions call ahead. i doubt you'll need to bring your own cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
homer_j said:
Lan Cable huh? I will have to have a look at the airport for one of these...Thanks for the quick response.
Most hotels that offer in-room broadband should be able to provide one for you if you need it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought that might be the case but it would just be my luck to get that far and then find out that I cant use the facility because of a missing cable. Is it just a standard ethernet cable then if I need it.

http://www.metroparkhotel.com/acc.html is where I am staying if this helps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Each room is equipped with....complimentary unlimited broadband Internet access with laptop ports.
Yes, you are going to need a cable. Just bring your own or call ahead to see if they will provide one for you.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just emailed them to check... Many thanks for all your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.