Permenant Clean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro 1st gen stuffed
what is the best history deletion software for mac - my roomate did some unsavory browsing and i take my computer to work and need to delete permenantly any and all traces. What software co. is best? MacKeeper? Clean my mac? etc etc - too many choices and cant seem to get a straight answer from reviews etc - need help asap!
Sincerely,
S

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am the newbie - posted to wrong area?

Hi all, i know there are far better informed gurus out there than lil ol moi - so folks, what say you? Did i post my question in the wrong forum? 25 of you already viewed my permanent clean post and none of you have an answer/ I am certain that at least one of you gurus would have an idea no?.... Your knowledge is appreciated thank you very much!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You should wait longer when bumping a post - 1/2 an hour is much too short. Just a note for the future.

Each browser has a "cleaning" option so to speak.

1. Safari - Safari > Reset Safari...
2. Chrome - Chrome > Clear Browsing Data...
3. Opera - Tools > Delete Private Data...
4. Firefox - Tools > Clear Recent History...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have heard nothing good about MacKeeper. Know nothing about the rest, but why do you need any of them.
Open your web browser and clear history and cookies possibly as well. Go to recents in Apple menu and clear. Empty the trash. Not sure what else you would need to do at this point.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Might I also suggest that you don't allow your roommate to use your computer. It's your computer and you should be able to dictate exactly how it is used.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
all understood and the roomie wasnt allowed in the first place - i had to find out the hard way - luckily i wasnt embarrassed by any of it, but i found it and was not impressed - just dont know that even tho i do all the standard erasing browser clearing, cookie delete history delete etc etc - is it enough? are there permenant tracks etc to those sites - do i have to wipe my HD or what?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you may be overly concerned given that you're not embarrassed by any of it. Clear your browser's data and you should be fine. This will be sufficient if the person who accessed your laptop only engaged in such acts through the browser of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.