using verizon 3G?

Reaction score
We are looking to relocate to northern Calif. The area we are hoping to land in doesn't have any internet servers. You can get satellite (Hughes) but I see how SLOW it is. I thought satellite was fast. Only 1MBPS. Right now I'm getting 7MBPS.
My only alternative is getting verizon and using the 3G broadband card or the mobile unit they offer. The area won't support 4G yet.
My question is.... will this be fast enough to play facebook games like cityville, farmville etc?
That's all I do on the computer other than email friends and research on the net.
Thanks for any info....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It will be plenty fast. Those games don't really use much bandwidth.

Your only concern should be data caps. Verizon typically allows you no more than 5GB per month, which is very easy to go over if you're using it as your primary connection.

Have you looked into whether Clearwire is available in the area?

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
never heard of clearwire -- I'll check into that.

Just checked and no - no service there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's unfortunate. I just looked into pricing and Verizon is pretty expensive. It's $50 a month for 5GB, and $80 a month for 10GB. Clearwire is $35-$45 a month with unlimited usage. Speeds are pretty much the same for both, averaging around 1 to 1.5Mbps.

At least Verizon is better than Hughes. They start at $40 a month, which limits you to 200MB of usage (the $90 plan isn't much better with a 400MB cap). That's absolutely abysmal compared to Verizon's 5GB usage cap, especially since the speeds are the same.

I say go with Verizon if it's your only viable option. Also look into Sprint, they might have a better plan available.

OP
dolphin01
Reaction score
wish I could get clear wire! Called a local company and they have 3 towers just a mile away from the house!! But.... the house sits in a little valley and the hills are in the way. How FRUSTRATING that is! He said if they ever put in more towers in that bowl, I'd be set. But until then... its dial up and or the verizon card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.