Deleting Spam Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
I have been trying to figure out a way to get rid of this Spam mail box but it won't let me multi delete them. Does anyone have some advice as to how to get rid of it so I don't have to see it and store thousands of junk mails? I use Gmail.
screenshot20110423at827.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am guessing that'd be a mailbox created in gmail online as I don't have that.
Online is probably where you need to head to remove it.

If it is indeed all spam/junk, I'd just highlight the mailbox right there - head for Edit / Select All - and then hit the Delete button.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'll go to Gmail online and see if I can delete that box. Thanks

C

chas_m

Well, no ... don't delete the Spam box, or future spam will just come to your Inbox.

GMail's web interface should have a method for selecting all mail in a certain box and mass-deleting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
You should just be able to right click/delete?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
You need to log into your Gmail account online (through the web). This will allow you access to the Spam folder, where you can delete all spam messages.

You DO NOT want to delete that folder. Gmail has an excellent spam filter. You do want to check it regularly, however, since sometimes legitimate mail will be erroneously filtered into that folder. If it does make it into Spam by mistake, you can mark it as "not spam" and it will automatically go into your Inbox, and then it will show in your Inbox when you're back in Mail.

You do not have to close Mail in order to go into Gmail on the web. You also will need to empty your trash folder while you're online, as the items in both your Spam and trash folder are using your storage space limit.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I did empty the spam online this morning, but it took a long time because there were almost 4000 stored in it, and the only way I could see to delete them was 1 page at a time. I just wish I could find a way to make them go away automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Next time you log in to Gmail on the web, look carefully at the screen. I know there is a lot there, but some of it is there for a purpose.

Once you enter the Spam folder, at the very top of your messages will be a link for Delete all spam messages now (Messages that have been in Spam for more than 30 days will be automatically deleted) . Click that link -- it's in blue. Once you do that, you'll get a message that reads: "Hooray, no spam here!"

Close your browser window (no need to log off) and you're done.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'll look it over closer next time. I went into it this morning thinking I could delete them all with a couple of clicks, but I couldn't find that option. When you click all, it only checks all on that page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.