iTunes 10.2.2 weirdness on Home Sharing/Apple TV

Reaction score
Hi, all! Just moved all my videos from my iTunes (10.2.1.1) on PC to my iTunes (10.2.2) on my Mac Mini. Enabled Home Sharing on Mac, disabled on PC. My Apple TV now sees the Mac as the video library.

Weird thing, tho... when I select ANYTHING on the ATV to play, the iTunes on the Mac starts playing music. I hit pause on the ATV, and the music pauses on the iTunes; hit play on ATV, and music starts playing again on the iTunes (ATV behaves normally). This NEVER happened on the PC, so...

What's up??? Confused at this point...
SteveB

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Follow-up: If I'm in the Movies library on the Mac iTunes, playing/pausing the ATV causes the same movie in iTunes to play/pause. If I'm in the movie selection menu on iTunes, going down in the list causes the volume control in iTunes to go down. Navigating up the movie list in ATV causes the volume control in iTunes to go up.

This is insane.

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Uninstalled iTunes on the Mac per Apple support article #HT1224; reinstalled. Still doing the exact same thing on the Mac; iTunes/ATV works perfectly and as expected with iTunes on PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Um, it may be as simple as the Apple Remote. The Mac will recognize the Apple Remote with no configuration.

This has nothing to do with iTunes. I have no idea how to disable the Apple Remote on the iMac but I bet someone else does. Good luck.

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Deckyon, thanks for replying! I hadn't considered that it was the Mac receiving the same IR signal from the ATV remote as the ATV does... didn't know there was an IR receiver in the Mac Mini. It's definately worth looking into further! Thanks for the tip!

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Deckyon, excellent call!! :) I found the setting for the Remote, disabled it on the Mac, and all is well again! Thanks a bunch! You just saved me more nasty frustration! :)

Reaction score
How did you disable it, if you don't mind me asking??

I have the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.