Progress bar on start up

Reaction score
I had a power cut yesterday while working on my imac and ever since when it starts up on the grey screen there is a progress bar. It now takes about 5 minutes to boot up instead of 40 seconds and it seems to think that some of the apps i have installed such as quick time is not the right version for snow leopard. opening itunes gives me an error 13014.

Any ideas how to correct this fault gratefully received

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your iMac is trying to start up in Safe Boot mode. That's usually when you see the progress bar.

What does it say on the sign in dialog? If it's starting in Safe Boot mode it will say so there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Boot the machine with your install DVD and run the Apple Hardware Test. LINK

Reaction score
i had a progress bar on my Mac about 2 times and after the bar fulled up it all worked fine again. I would do what chscag said or go too an apple shop

OP
M
Reaction score
ok i tried to repair but utilities doesnt seem to be able to repair it so it looks like i need to back up files format and reinstall snow leopard. does that sound about right:? thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you can certainly reinstall Snow Leopard if you like. However, I suspect your hard drive may be getting ready to fail and it's possible that reinstalling will only accelerate the failure.

Make a backup of your entire hard drive first. Use Time Machine. And be prepared to swap out the drive if it should give you trouble.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.