Windows XP

Reaction score
First off I'm not a Mac person (IBM programer & PC person since 1968).. my son sent me an iMac Core Duo from his work place since they are upgrading all equipment. Anyway, here are the spec. intel Core Duo 1.83 Mhz, 2 Gigs Ram, 160 HD..NO OS (I guess it used to have Mac OS 10.4 installed.) So here is my question, is there any way I can just install Windows XP without having to buy Mac OS X? If I do have to buy Mac OS, is there anyway I can remove it from the system after I install Windows XP???
Thanks for your time and information.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the hard drive is clean, there's no reason why you can't install Windows XP on it. Just boot the MacBook with the XP disk and do an install. You don't need OS X for that.

Having said that, I suggest trying OS X before you decide to use a Mac for Windows only. You can buy a copy of Snow Leopard from Best Buy for $29.00 and install it. Use it for awhile.

Also, something else you need to know.... If you install XP on that Mac, you may have a difficult time trying to find drivers for the proprietary Mac hardware the machine uses. The Mac OS X disk contains all the drivers you will need.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry about the confusion, it's not a MacBook, its a desktop iMac.

Thanks for the information. I guess I will pull out an XP disk, fire the silly thing up and see what happens when I get a chance.

Not a big fan of anything that isn't Microsoft so I think I will pass on the Mac OS.

Did work with Mac's about 17 years ago when I was network administarator in a small print shop that used both PC's and Mac to do jobs. Didn't like the Mac's mouse setup at the time. Actually ran software on a PC that would read Mac disk.

Thanks again for the information

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.