Mac won't recognize external hard drive...& more...Help Please, Mac Super-Pro's!!!

Reaction score
Hello there!!! I've read a few of your posts, & u seem to know a bit about how to use a Mac...I am a newby, but heard great things about Mac...so, here I am owning one, & trying to grasp the world of Mac after being a PC girl...

My problem is that I can't get my Mac OS X 10.6.3 (which used to be a 10.6.7, until I started having problems with it)...It's brand new!!!
It will not recognize my new 2T Verbatim external hard drive.
Also, it will print for me, but I'd also like to scan, but can't locate the printer on the Mac...This is just the begining of my problems...but I won't overwhelm u right now...

Can u help me?
Peace*
Shannon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

What format is the Verbatim hard drive using and how do you have it attached to your Mac?

As for the printer... did you install drivers for it?

And lastly, how and why did you go back to 10.6.3 from 10.6.7?

Also we need: Year, model of your Mac. Name and model of the printer.

Sorry about all the questions, but without additional info we would need a crystal ball to help you out. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Format of the Verbatim, you ask? I know it's compatible with Mac & PC...& it's 2TB...
Model #USB2TB...Verbatim #96865...Lot #JHA518. Hope that helps in some way...

As for the printer...Drivers? I just installed the disk it came with...took some fiddling...but I did just locate it...It prints for me, but I haven't tried scanning yet.

I didn't go backwards with the down grade...the computer did it itself...Stopped doing anything at all. I don't know if a setting was hit by accident, or what happened, but all apps stopped working. They pop up for a split second, then disappear...I can't even bring up the Mac Software Updates long enough to push the updating button...

Just got the Mac in January...Mac OS X Snow Leopard (was 10.6.7)...now is 10.6.3...

I hope this helps!!!

Peace*
Shannon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. The 2 TB Verbatim drive must be formatted as FAT-32 if it's compatible with both your PC and Mac.

If you installed the drivers from the disk that came with your printer, it probably also installed the scanner software. You can try it out with any document you have and see if it scans in.

The downgrade is still a mystery. If your Mac had 10.6.7 installed, there's no way it could have downgraded to 10.6.3 without a reinstall of the OS.

You said you got your Mac in January so it must have came preinstalled with 10.6.6 because 10.6.7 was only released in mid March. Very confusing.

If you're still having problems, I suggest making an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have them go over the machine. Its still under warranty so you may as well take advantage of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you used the Snow Leopard disc and did a re-install as chscag suggests. If you have updated the OS and use discs to re-install, takes you back to the version of the disc. Either you have used the wrong disc, it is older than you suggested, January, or the wrong system disc has come with the machine.

OP
S
Reaction score
If I reformat to Fat-32...how do I do this?...& will I lose all my data that is already on the hard drive?

When I bought the Mac & did it's first update, and noticed it did say 10.6.7...but that may have been after the update.

I spoke to Apple many, many times...going through all kinds of configurations that the 'top' tech guys walked me through...no success...Called Verbatim too. Was told to replace all Verbatim cords, which I did. & Apple said that I have to get all of my data on the Verbatim, and start from scratch... But, I can't locate the Verbatim on the computer anywhere. Although, Being a PC girl for so long, Mac is a whole new world...so I'm learning as I go...

I did look in all of the places that the HD could possibly be hiding...but, maybe I missed something...unknown...

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!!! I run a business, and there is a lot of important goods on that HD, as well as the Mac...Scary stuff!!!

Thanx*
Shannon

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes...You are right!! I am looking at the disks now, & they say 10.6.3...but my updater won't let me do an update.

After disk 1, the computer asked me to put in disk 2, which has my Safari app, and a few more...When I called Apple again, they said I wasn't supposed to put in disk 2. But, that's what the computer asked for. Nothing was working still anyway...

The only thing that works on Mac is Firefox...which is how I am writing to u now...All other apps...Every single one, does not work anymore...

Suggestions are greatly, & desperately appreciated!!
Shannon*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Format the hard drive and do a clean install using disc one and then download the OS X.6.7 Combo Updater and cross your fingers ..and everything else. Trust you have broadband as it is over 1GB:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.