Bootcamp cannot be used?? Please help

Reaction score
I have a macbook running snow leopard. I was installing windows 7 and decided that the partition size in which I created on the windows side was to small so I cancelled the install.

Now when I start bootcamp it is saying it cannot be used (you must update your system software before using)

My friend said that I might have to reinstall the whole operating system to fix this problem, is there a way I can remove the partition again. I don't have the original mac disc which came but I have a snow leopard disc which I bought to upgrade to snow leopard.

I really need to get windows installed on my mac thanks for answering any help would be great thanks :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What likely happened is that the partition was created anyway. And now the system is telling you that it can not partition the drive any further.

Boot the MacBook with your Snow Leopard DVD and go into Disk Utilities from the DVD. Use the partition tab. Highlight the Boot Camp partition and remove it (-). Then drag the partition line to encompass the entire drive.

See if that works. Let us know.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note to self: Never stop a machine during an install or update......

Things to try - check - one at a time:

1. I'm going to 'assume' OS X is Journaled since you already used BootCamp to partition the drive???

2. Pop in your SL disc and boot to it. Open up Disk Utility and run both repair permissions and repair drive.

3. Try a PRAM reset.

4a. You have not upgraded to SL yet - do it... After you back up your OS X partition.

4b. You have upgraded to SL - download and install the combo update.

5. Open up Disk Utility - delete the 2nd partition - drag the OS X partition down to take the whole drive.

6. Reinstall the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.