• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone 5 Details: 3.7-Inch Screen, Home Button with Gesture Area

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
iPhone 5 Details: 3.7-Inch Screen, Home Button with Gesture Area - Mac Rumors

Former Engadget editor Joshua Topolsky has revealed information on the upcoming iPhone 5. Topolsky reiterates from his previous Engadget report that the phone is to be completely redesigned, and that it looks “more like the iPod touch than the iPhone 4.” The new phone will be thinner and have a "teardrop" shape which goes from thick to thin, similar to the MacBook Air.

Meanwhile, the home button will be doing "double duty" as both a button and ans a gesture area.
this falls in line with testing we’ve seen for gestures on the iPad, and our sources say that gestures are definitely coming in a future version of iOS. The home button will likely be enlarged, but not scrapped altogether. Furthermore, we’re hearing that the screen on the device will occupy the entire (or near to it) front of the phone, meaning almost no bezel. Our source says the company is doing very “interesting things” with bonded glass technology, and has been exploring designs where the earpiece and sensors are somehow behind the screen itself, making for a device where the display is actually edge-to-edge.

The sketch they've provided suggests the screen will go up to 3.7 inches while keeping the same resolution.

I don't like the thin shape, for the same reason I hate the new iPod Touches...it's too thin to comfortably hold for long durations imo. I like the new home button though.

Reaction score
That photo seems to have done in 2 secs time in photoshop I don't think it is any close to the final product even if iPhone 5 had those features. But iPhone 5 won't be much different than iPhone 4 me thinks...it will be more of OS changes than the hardware this time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've also heard that the inside of the phone is a solid piece of balonium.

Reaction score
I'm not against a different design, however I don't like the teardrop look; doesn't look natural for me.

I would love higher specs (which is a given at this point) and a larger screen (3.7 is the minimum, however if I'm watching media or looking at pictures I would love to have a screen of at least 4 inches.

I'm sticking to Android phones right now but whenever that comes out I'll definitely take a look.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I've also heard that the inside of the phone is a solid piece of balonium.

Balonium has been out for a while now. They should try something a little more modern like phonium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I don't like the thin shape, for the same reason I hate the new iPod Touches...it's too thin to comfortably hold for long durations imo. I like the new home button though.
I really like the current iPhone 4 design and would hate any future iPhone to be as thin as this rumor. I do wish the screen size were bigger though.

Reaction score
I don't like the thin shape, for the same reason I hate the new iPod Touches...it's too thin to comfortably hold for long durations imo.

Cases usually thicken it up some…my iPod touch has a case on it, and it makes far easier to hold.

The rumored iPhone designs - I don't take any of these rumored designs with anything more than a tiny grain of salt, and I'd rather wait for the debut day to see the new design anyway. Makes it much more worth the wait.

If you ask me, I think iOS needs a few UI improvements…maybe it's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you ask me, I think iOS needs a few UI improvements…maybe it's just me.
I agree. Sometimes there is too much interest or focus on the iPhone hardware when the iOS still needs improvements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.