iPhoto Images??

Reaction score
Hi, when I import photos from my sd card into iPhoto I can then view them and all is good. My question is where are the actual jpeg files? For instance if I wanted to burn them on a cd or put them on a memory stick or place them in a document - where are the files?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
Right click on any photo in iPhoto and when the drop down window appears click on "show file". Finder will open to where the original file is.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I wouldn't go around messing with the original files. Just select the pictures you want and drag them to the desktop or where ever you want a copy of the images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hi, when I import photos from my sd card into iPhoto I can then view them and all is good. My question is where are the actual jpeg files? For instance if I wanted to burn them on a cd or put them on a memory stick or place them in a document - where are the files?

Thanks

That would depend on whether, in iPhoto preferences, you have opted to actually import the photos into iPhoto or not. If not, they are still (only) on the sd card. If yes (which I think is the default) they are in the iPhoto library (do a spotlight search) AND on the sd card, unless you opted to delete after import.

Reaction score
it's simple , create a new folder on desktop
and select images from iphoto that you want to burn ..
drag the photo's to the folder you've been created ..

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks my prefs say to copy images but I cant find the iphoto library where abouts is this folder (I have done a spotlight search and nothing is found. Thanks

OP
R
Reaction score
OK thanks, Is this the full resolution file that would have come off my sd card. I just can't get my head round Iphoto viewing images they must be stored on my mac some where.

Reaction score
OK thanks, Is this the full resolution file that would have come off my sd card. I just can't get my head round Iphoto viewing images they must be stored on my mac some where.

if you want to find the source of your photo that you've been moved to iphoto
please go to home > pictures > right click on iphoto library > show package content ....

C

chas_m

The above advice from tambalpanci and CameraMike is technically correct but also VERY bad advice that usually results in a corrupted library.

The golden rule of iPhoto is this: anything you want to do to pictures in iPhoto MUST be done from *within* iPhoto.

You want to burn iPhoto images to a disk that can be read on PC? The help file will give you a step-by-step tutorial on it. You can also use the simple "drag out to folder on desktop, burn folder on desktop" method previously mentioned. There's also a third party program Photo to Disk that simplifies this a bit if you need to do it regularly (and is free).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.