AppHBN3Listener--What is this Process?

Reaction score
A process called AppHBN3Listener has been popping up in my activity monitor and I can't seem to find anything about it online. It doesn't come up when I restart, but pops up randomly and doesn't respond to quitting or force quit in the activity monitor. It uses a small amount of processor power (.01%) I'm running an early 2008 Macbook with 2.2GHz running OXS 10.6.7.

Does anyone know what this is?

C

chas_m

What third-party login items or startup programs do you have set up? This is likely to be a "daemon" that periodically checks for an update or an incoming signal, such as a streaming radio app.

OP
A
Reaction score
Here's my startup items:

Google notifier; iTunes Helper; Growl Helper

I've noticed that the process doesn't come up immediately with startup, but shows up as soon as OSX loads completely. It's only started in the last few days, could it have something to do with the new OSX updates that came out recently?

Thanks

C

chas_m

Not likely. A quick Google search doesn't turn up anything, but my main suspect here is Google Notifier, as it would be periodically "listening" for any updates to your feed (and they don't give a toss about notifying you of any "phone home" activities!). The fact that this process doesn't turn up until the OS is completely loaded tells me it's a third party item.

One way to find out: turn off (and just to be on the safe side, uninstall) Google Notifier, and see if the process turns up again.

OP
A
Reaction score
I uninstalled Google notifier and restarted, but the process still shows up. I don't know enough about apple code to gain anything from taking a sample of the process. Is there anything I should/could find that would point to what's causing this?

Thanks

Reaction score
I have LittleSnitch installed and I checked the details when this message popped up. It seems to be a software update check for Lexmark printer drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.