Macbook Pro (A1150) randomly shuts down

Reaction score
Hello MF users,

I'm hoping to gain some possible insight into why my beloved MBP is up and dying on me.

This usually occurs when browsing the web (a lot of times on YouTube, but also during normal perusing as well). It's don't think it's overheating, as I use smcFanControl keeping the internal fans around 4150 RPMs and it's also sitting on a Cooler Master notebook stand. It doesn't feel nearly as hot as it used to get before I started using these two (wonderful) things. Temp usually varies between 100-120 degrees F.

I'm still using the original battery (almost 5 years old), which I probably didn't calibrate or properly cycle (I was out of the know back then). coconutBattery shows 25% capacity from its original state, with a max capacity of 1407mAh.

I never use it unplugged these days, so the shut downs happen while it's on AC power.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Other specs:

OS X 10.5.8
2 GHz, 2 GB RAM
Connected with 23" Samsung LED

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It could still be the battery causing issues since its still in the circuit have you tried running
it with the battery removed? Its also hard on the power supply to try and charge a battery
that will not charge up to full capacity.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I removed the battery and powered it on. It didn't even get to the log in screen before it died. I went to the post office, then tried again when I got back. This time I was able to log in but it died within a few minutes (I wasn't doing anything either, just letting it load up).

Any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you have a dying power supply in your MBP. Since the machine is 5 years old, you probably would want to try to fix it yourself rather than spend money taking it to Apple.

The first thing to do is try another MagSafe adapter charger. Yours could be defective. If that doesn't help, the next thing is the DC input board which can be replaced for around $60.00. Here's one place that sells them.
LINK

OP
D
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a dying power supply in your MBP. Since the machine is 5 years old, you probably would want to try to fix it yourself rather than spend money taking it to Apple.

The first thing to do is try another MagSafe adapter charger. Yours could be defective. If that doesn't help, the next thing is the DC input board which can be replaced for around $60.00. Here's one place that sells them.
LINK

I'll try both of those things. Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.