Do you have to upgrade to itunes 10?

Reaction score
Hi - so I'm prompted to download itunes 10 now when I go to the itunes store, but it's not letting me go past/skip the prompt. I'm running OS 10.4.11 and itunes 10 requires OS 10.5, so I can't download it (and don't want to) and I can't get past this prompt that seems to be forcing me to download itunes 10 to get in the store. Any help on how to skip this would be much appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
iTunes 10 requires 10.5 or above. If what you are doing required iTunes 10, then yes, you have to.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm not doing anything that requires itunes 10 though - I have an older ipod and no iphone or anything, this prompt just appeared one day that says "See What Your Missing -Upgrade to itunes 10 now!" and won't go away. What itunes is missing is my money since I can't buy songs. Apparently there's usually an option to Not Download, but I don't get that. My guess is that Mac is trying to get me to upgrade my OS from 10.4.11 or the itunes store no longer works with itunes 8 (that's what I have). Is this a glitch or a ploy from Mac to get me to buy more crap that I don't want?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The iTMS now requires iTunes 10 (source). It would seem then that you're out of luck - you'll need to upgrade if you want to keep using it. You can always try a new store. If you're in the US, I've heard good things about the Amazon Music Store.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks vansmith! - this has been driving me crazy and it's been impossible to find info on the matter. Knowing an unfortunate answer is better than not knowing at all. The source site recommended updating to itunes 9, so I'll give that a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
If you need the iTunes store that bad have you tried DLing iTunes 10 and seeing if it works? If not itunes.apple.com will get you to the front end of the store where you can preview etc, but as far as purchasing, I'm sure what to tell you.

OP
S
Reaction score
I actually just upgraded to itunes 9.2 and now the store is working through itunes. If I recall though they wouldn't let me access the store from their site either. It's weak that they make it seem like you have to download itunes 10 to use the store (which requires os purchase upgrade if you're still running Tiger, which I love) when 9 works as well. Hopefully this helps people out though.

Reaction score
Life saver!!!

Thank you SOOOOOOO much for your posts!

I just started getting the prompt to download 10.5 Itunes, which isn't compatible with my 10.4.11 Mac, and was getting pretty irked that I could no longer access the itunes store!

However after reading your posts, I googled an old 9.2 & downloaded it. My itunes is working perfectly again with no irritating prompts or problems with the store.

Thank you for the advice :D

C

chas_m

Don't get that happy: the store will eventually be upgraded again and you'll be out of luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.