A newbie needing bootcamp help? Who would a thunk it?

Reaction score
Right, I have a HUGE problem with bootcamp, I think I have installed everything but when I try to start up Windows it starts starting but then my screen just goes black and I have to turn my iMac off, Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Hard to say without knowing exactly what you did and what part of the process you're getting the blank screen.

Are you finishing all the steps in Boot Camp Assistant? Does it tell you that your partition has successfully been created? Was your Windows installation disk in your drive when it asked you to restart? Did you remember to format the partition during the Windows installation process? Did installation complete?

We need much more information before we can help troubleshoot.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hard to say without knowing exactly what you did and what part of the process you're getting the blank screen.

Are you finishing all the steps in Boot Camp Assistant? Does it tell you that your partition has successfully been created? Was your Windows installation disk in your drive when it asked you to restart? Did you remember to format the partition during the Windows installation process? Did installation complete?

We need much more information before we can help troubleshoot.

Do you know where I could find a step by step guide of EXACTLY what to do.
And yes I did everything you said, im just not to sure about the installation

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved to correct forum.

Open up the Boot Camp assistant PDF instruction file. You'll find step by step instructions on how to use Boot Camp and install Windows.

Also for further assistance, please tell us the year, model of your iMac and which version of OS X you're running.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thread moved to correct forum.

Open up the Boot Camp assistant PDF instruction file. You'll find step by step instructions on how to use Boot Camp and install Windows.

Also for further assistance, please tell us the year, model of your iMac and which version of OS X you're running.

2010, 21.5 inch iMac running Snow Leopard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back your specs.

First, we need to determine if you're using a version of Windows that can be installed via Boot Camp. You will need:

A full install version of XP SP2 or 3. It has to be either a MS boxed copy or OEM System builder's version. Full install of Windows Vista or Windows 7 either MS boxed, or OEM System Builder's.

Recovery, OEM branded (Sony, Toshiba, HP, etc), corporate, or multiple licensed versions will not work. The use of any of those will result in the black screen.

OP
C
Reaction score
If it helps I have: Windows 7 Home Premium (it came with a dell PC I bought a while ago)

Reaction score
That's the problem - your disk won't work. You cant use an OEM-branded disk like the one that came with your Dell. That's the first thing the instructions say!!!

You need to purchase either (1) a full retail version of Win 7 or (2) an "OEM System Builder's" version of Win 7 (or other Windows version).

They can be had pretty reasonably at newegg.com and other sites. I would buy one of those, go back into BootCamp Assistant and use the option to restore your hard drive to one OSX partition, then start over with the new disk.

Sorry, there really is no other way.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Comrade when you open up Bootcamp Assistant print the instructions. As Sammy states, Dell or any other OEM disc from a computer manufacturer will not install.

OP
C
Reaction score
Alright so now when ever I boot up my Mac I still have to hold the option key to access OSX even though I hare restored my hardrive, can anyone help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences in the Dock, Startup Disk and click on the Mac OS X disk image there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.