IMAC G5 512mb to one gig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
hey guys im thinking about going to a gig of ram from the 512, will it be worth the money to do this? Or should i just wait and get 2 one gig sticks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Conehead778 said:
hey guys im thinking about going to a gig of ram from the 512, will it be worth the money to do this? Or should i just wait and get 2 one gig sticks
This has come up in several threads in the past, and this decision still depends on what you are planning on doing with your computer.

If you are not utilizing the 512 MB you have now to its fullest extent, an upgrage is not going to have any noticeable improvement. Also, if you are not doing daily, heavy professional level use of video editing, graphics work, photo manipulation...etc., then you are likely to never see the benefit of 2 GB of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
In my G4 iMac, I noticed a big difference going from 768MB to 1.5GB of RAM.

U

UncSki1218

I had my imac g5 2.o ghz upgraded from 512 to 2 gigs. My friend went to one gig in his.. I do some video editing but we don't notice to much of a difference. It is nice to know you have it if u ever need it though. I bought my 2 1gb sticks here...www.chiefvalue.com. Its the cheapest you can find ram.

C

code777

I went from 256 to 512 to 1GB. I did notice a difference when running a lot of apps at once and especially when using iMovie. So it all depends on how much RAM you are currently using. You should check how much you are currently using to see if its really worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.