Should I (Me) Purchase applecare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
I bought an iMac in June last year, and its been fine. I dont need telephone support or additional help. But I am thinking it would be nice to have the warrantee, should anything go physically wrong with the imac.

Then I started thinking. I bought a sony vaio laptop about 4 years ago, and it still works fine today. I bought the sony, because at the time, it was 'good quality' (Less likely to go wrong) and it hasn't...

So that got me thinking. What is the likelihood of the imac (again, great quality) going wrong in the next two years?

Stuff happens, the worlds an imperfect place and I know that, but I am simply wondering if a great quality computer such as the imac is likely to go wrong in the next 2 years? Are there any general statistics available?

I dont think I have ever really had a computer go wrong on me within a 5 year period ever... So why should it happen with one of the top end products from apple?

Or am I thinking this wrong and there is some kinda benefit I am not aware of ?

Please help me make up my mind. Should I buy applecare?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There's really no entity that keeps statistics for failed computers. In general, organizations like Consumer Reports and others rank Apple computers pretty high in terms of reliability.

With that said, I have seen Apple use some pretty craptastic parts in their otherwise high-end machines (like the Toshiba HDD that accompanied my 2011 MBP). And although a hard drive failure in a serviceable machine like the Unibody Macbook Pro is not a big deal for me - it would be a very big deal in an iMac, since they are not easily serviceable for the average Joe.

Another option besides Apple's own AppleCare might be SquareTrade's warranty service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
The warranty for an iMac isn't that expensive, $169 I think? At least compared to $349 for a MBP. Figure $85 a year, about $7 a month. If you sell it later to upgrade, you should be able to easily tack on an extra $100 or so because it's protected by AppleCare, even if there's only a few months left. It's the peace of mind knowing that while you have it, normal repairs are covered, and peace of mind for anyone taking a chance on buying it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
If you have a student in the house i think it is closer to $120 the last time i looked at it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Its not the cost. Its only 20 pence (.33 cents) a day for the cover...
And I dont intend to sell it either... Or upgrade.

Infact, if it lasts me say 4 years, I have more than had my moneys worth out of it, and will happily just buy a new one when the time comes anyway...

I'm just seeing if its really worth it for that next 2 year window of time... In otherwords, I'll happily use the imac until it no longer works, then throw it away and buy new. But is that point likely to be within the next two years?

I may just get it anyway and be on the safeside, but I'm really just gathering some opinions first :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I have a macbook pro 2009 model. I bought the insurance for it. Being as expensive as it was, I figured whats another 349.00. I have yet to have a problem with it. But I still have another year and them some before it expires. It is nice to have the tech support though. Which I have used several times. It gives me peace of mind.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
In general my answer on extended warranties is, "no, not worth it".

Having said that, I make an exception for AppleCare. My experience dealing with Apple service in general, and under AppleCare in particular, is that the prompt, curteous, and hassle-free service makes it worth having. I do buy my AppleCare through Amazon though, as I can usually get a decent discount.
If you decide to buy it and choose to do it online, do a thread search here at the Forums first as this issue has been discussed many times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
It is the catch 22. If you don't buy it you will need it. if you do buy it you won't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I really should put this in my signature: LA Computer Company I have friends who have purchased Apple Care from them, as they offer really good discounts. I think they also offer theft insurance as well as accident coverage. Those are different plans though.

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm one of those that almost never buys a warranty and only extremely rarely do I ever recommend them to others.

At the $110 price of the link Doug provided - basically for the cost of a new hard drive - on an iMac - think I'd have to break down and purchase that for a 2 yr extension myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Wow I am with you on that one

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At the $110 price of the link Doug provided - basically for the cost of a new hard drive - on an iMac - think I'd have to break down and purchase that for a 2 yr extension myself.

I agree. That's one heck of a deal for Apple Care. Thanks for the URL Doug. :)

Reaction score
I look at it as insurance. You most likely will not need it but what will the cost be if you don't have it vs the cost of having it. Like a car you don't need a full warranty but you may wish you had paid for that when you have to shell out for a repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
I always buy Apple Care! Last year my 1 1/2 yr. old iMac suffered three failures within 5 days. The hard drive went first, followed by the heat sensors and finally the super drive. I have no idea why this happened, but I had run up over $500 in repairs. Thanks to Apple Care, I paid nothing and after the 3rd failure, I was given a brand new machine. The new machine came with higher specs and has been running beautifully. Apple even gave me a refund on the unused portion of the policy. The very first thing I bought for my new machine was Apple Care!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you don't buy it you will need it. if you do buy it you won't.

Definitely Murphy's Law that comes into play here . . . . . . .

I really should put this in my signature: LA Computer Company I have friends who have purchased Apple Care from them, as they offer really good discounts. I think they also offer theft insurance as well as accident coverage. Those are different plans though.

Doug

Now why cant we have someone here downunder with those same sort of prices. I went through that link and yep they dont ship outside the US . . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Definitely Murphy's Law that comes into play here . . . . . . .

Now why cant we have someone here downunder with those same sort of prices. I went through that link and yep they dont ship outside the US . . . . .

Could always have it shipped to one of our friends on here, and have them ship it to us though :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Could always have it shipped to one of our friends on here, and have them ship it to us though :D

Ahh ha Now we be thinking ;P Now who here would engage in such a practice lol There was something about Credit Card matching the Delivery Address :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It's not shady, so any of our mates would do it I'm sure.
Also, the cost of shipping to Oz would be minimal, and all in all, as simple as a money transfer into their paypal accounts :)

PS. your location keeps spinning me out :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm surprised that one would need the physical Apple Care "box". I have
Apple Care on one of my MBP's and never even got a box. It's just registered and associated with the MBP and resides in their records. Likely with the serial number etc... So, would it not be possible to say... purchase the actual Apple Care through one of us here... and then simply fax or email the information over? I would think that as long as the item in question was registered, no physical package should be necessary.

I'll look into it. I would volunteer as the shipper/whatever, but I do not have a PayPal account anymore because of getting skrewd over by PP a few years ago.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.