Should I (Me) Purchase applecare?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like you stated, get a second opinion. We've seen users have their battery replaced for free even after it was well out of warranty. And if you do wind up having to replace it out of pocket, buy one from OWC. Their batteries are reported to out perform the Apple original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Like you stated, get a second opinion. We've seen users have their battery replaced for free even after it was well out of warranty. And if you do wind up having to replace it out of pocket, buy one from OWC. Their batteries are reported to out perform the Apple original.

Ah... I'll check that out then. Thanks!

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
I just jumped in to the Mac world a couple weeks ago. I'm not buying Applecare for our iMac, but I am going to buy it for my MacBook. Being so new to Apple and their OS, I think it would be nice to have the phone support for 3 years. So as soon as I sell my HP laptop, I'll be purchasing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I think it would be nice to have the phone support for 3 years. .

As much as i would have agreed with you 3 yrs ago, now i have been in the Mac Community for a while and found a good forum to bounce stuff off, i dont think i would ever use the phone support. Only when all my i's have been dotted and all my t's are crossed and none of my fellow members could come up with a solution, then yes it would be benifiscal for that.
Another time i would think about the phone support is if and when i was away from home and the speed of my broadband and the help of the forum, then yea it could be worth it . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As much as i would have agreed with you 3 yrs ago, now i have been in the Mac Community for a while and found a good forum to bounce stuff off, i dont think i would ever use the phone support. Only when all my i's have been dotted and all my t's are crossed and none of my fellow members could come up with a solution, then yes it would be benifiscal for that.
Another time i would think about the phone support is if and when i was away from home and the speed of my broadband and the help of the forum, then yea it could be worth it . . . .

Agreed. Not to many instances when I would use Applecare for Software issues. If all else fails I can do a software reinstall and start again. For me it's all about the hardware liabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
You both make very valid points. Come to think of it, the few questions I've had, I was able to find the answers here. Thanks!

Reaction score
I just bought my MBP a few days ago (I'm a switcher) and got the student discount, so it cost me $239 for 3 years. So its about $7 a month so I'll skip a couple of coffee runs a month. With my limited knowledge of the system and the high costs of an "IF" something breaks, I just bit the bullet and purchased it. I'd &%^# a square brick if a repair ran me some dollars like I've read about around here.

It's just like someone said about everybody's pal Murphy, if you have it then you probably won't need it, if you don't have it then you will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Get apple care, it has saved me 700 dollars in the past few years. I always get extended warranties.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
UPDATE. (I am the OP)

I went in to an apple store today, and asked to buy it. I was charged £142 (Which I expected) and received what appeared to be a CD in a package.

I asked what I was supposed to do, and the guy said, just goto apple dot com slash uk slash etc etc (I couldn't remember) OR just put the disc in my imac and it would bring up the screen...

I said OK. Got home and opened it up. No disc - But there didn't appear that there should have been one anyway. ?

I went to the web adress printed inside, confirmed my details, and entered the number in the pack and the number of my mac I got from the 'Profiler' program.

I am now covered.

Painless, and simple. I'm glad I bought it - PEACE OF MIND lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
Waiting on a 21.5 in. iMac. First Apple since Apple II in 1978. With what this cost and seeing some pics of the inside of this, I figured it was inexpensive insurance and opted for it.

And I'm coming from a ham radio background. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good choice. Doing any kind of work yourself (except upgrading the memory) on an iMac can be very challenging. Also, now that Apple is using proprietary firmware on their hard drives, it's best to let them (under warranty) replace it if it should ever need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Applecare - An interesting question.

Yes, always buy your Applecare for your computer. Reasons are easy to state. Applecare cost is reasonable. It triples the warranty coverage (not just doubles like most extended warranties). It gives you unlimited support access for the entire three years. Perhaps most importantly, if YOU went the extra mile to buy the Applecare, the employees at the Apple Store are going to go the extra mile to get your problem solved/fixed/replaced/whatever at no cost to you. Without your Applecare, you're on your own after year one.

No, I'd think twice about buying Applecare for an of the smaller devices. You only get two years of coverage. The simpler devices require a lot less help support. It does not cover physical damage, loss, or theft which are the most common small device problems. And, the cost is high compared to the cost of the items. With small devices, I think relying on Apple's one year warranty, then considering the device to be disposable is a more reasonable approach.

Last word. Always be prepared to ask for a discount. Discounts on products AND Applecare are available for teachers, students, military, many corporate employees, and government employees. Just about any form of ID is acceptable. For example a university library card would work just fine. And, if you are buying as a gift for a qualifying family member you should be able to get the discount. I LOVE discounts, and so do the Apple sales people. They want to give you a discount so let them know if you qualify.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.