Help! Transferring Mac HD data to PC HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Hi

I have two USB hard drives. One is Mac Osx Journaled. One is NFTS PC.

I badly need to give my father (on PC) some files.

PC does not read the mac drive (not even using HFSE exporer) and while the good old Mac reads both - I cannot copy onto the NFTS formatted drive.

Can anyone help!?! There must be away...

Oh and I don't mind if solution is using either mac or Pc!

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Back up whatever is one of the drive and dual format the HDD as Mac OSX Journaled and FAT32?

That's what I had to do to work with Windows. >_>"

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Thank you!

However - newbie quesiton here! - how do I do that? On Disk Utility it just gives me an MS DOS (FAT) option or Mac OS Journaled. I don't have a "dual" option.

Perhaps there is a downloadable app that offers to do this?

Thanks in advance

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. It's very suprising to learn that there isn't an easier way to do this!!!

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Louishen. I have downloaded MacFuse and installed it. Thanks for the heads up. One problem though: where does it go??? After installation there is no trace of it. No app in the application folder or the utility folder etc. Don't like apps just dissapearing after install. One of the reasons I stopped using PC's! :) Any ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
How big is the data? If it is less than 2 GB, set up a free Dropbox account and share the data that way. Small client goes on each machine and the data is shared live between them. I keep my MBP, Work Laptop (XP) and other home laptop (Win7) as well as my iPad all sync'd up with no issues.
Dropbox - Simplify your life

No worrying about drive formats and R/W issues.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Deckyon. Been a longtime Dropbox user! Unfortunatly it's video footage. So it's a lot more than 2gb!

Reaction score
Google a product called NTFS-3G.
It's simple and simply works. I have 10 years worth of NTFS external drives full of photos - I couldn't switch without a clean solution. I am reading/writing to my existing NTFS drives with absolutely no problems, and using them on my Windows machines seamlessly.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks thewalt! I don't know how (it didn't install an actual app!) but whatever it is it worked! Lol!

To anyone else with this problem inrecommend it!

Reaction score
@ newby - it installs what Windows would call a service (don't know what Apple call them yet). Basically a patch to the operating system. It's just there, no need to run anything once it is installed.

Glad it worked - I think it's $35 to buy the software, but well worth it if you need to share disks with PCs.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's greatly appreciated. Thanks Walt.

Reaction score
Error in NTFS -3G

Hi,
I have installed NTFS-3g on my Macbook Pro. But, I get an error when I'm mounting the hard disk. I require everyone's help in sorting the issue out.
I tried two other applications - Paragaon NTFS and Tuxera ntfs. Both of them work perfectly well, but there's a trial period of 10/15 days , after which I'll have to buy the software.

Regards,
Anil

Thanks thewalt! I don't know how (it didn't install an actual app!) but whatever it is it worked! Lol!

To anyone else with this problem inrecommend it!

Reaction score
Anil - you are correct. The free version of NTFS-3G no longer works for read/write; you now have to buy the paid version to get the read/write capability.

Since then I have found another free piece of software that works well and does read/write. Find it at: NTFS Mounter - it works a bit differently by sitting in the menu bar and when you have a disk mounted, you tell click on NTFSMounter to re-mount it in read/write mode. No big deal, if you require free.

-theWalt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take note that the free NTFS Mounter only works with Snow Leopard. It does not work with Leopard or any earlier versions of OS X.

Reaction score
This is true. NTFS-3G is also very fast and stable, power-friendly, etc. And it works transparently - there is no difference between Mac and NTFS disks using NTFS-3G.

In my opinion well worth the few dollars they ask for it. NTFSMounter's only advantage is that it is free. But that costs you the need to launch the program and interact with it each time you need to mount a disk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess it's a matter of how well NTFS 3G has worked for you. There's a reason why the free version is no longer developed. It was unstable and occasionally caused file corruption. The pay version supposedly fixes that.

Paragon NTFS is my choice because it not only gives you R\W capability for NTFS, it also allows formatting and repair. Only $19.95.

By the way, you can place NTFS Mounter in your login or startup folder so that it will be available for use as soon as you boot into OS X.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot theWalt and chscag. The NTFS Mounter works perfectly fine.. You guys are awesome. I apologize for the long delay in posting this.
My other questions is : Is there any other freeware similar to NTFS-Mounter which can mount HFS+ partitioned drive to Windows?

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded to OS X Lion. The sad part is ntfs-mounter doesn't work anymore.
Can anyone help me with any other software or any workaround to write to NTFS volumes in Mac OS X Lion?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.