CPU heat issues

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post so go easy :)
ive noticed in the last few days my Macbook Pro 13 (mid 2009) running idle with a CPU temp of 85+. All that i have had open is a rockmelt browser, so I was worried. Had a look into my usage today on the activity monitor.....

Rockmelt Silverlight app running between 99.0 and 102%..... killed it straight away and the heat in minutes down to (have a quick peek at another window) 58 degrees, happy times!

I've not had this problem before and ive been using rockmelt with silverlight for a while, anybody else had this problem lately? because silverlight using that much cpu is stupid! i only had google open at the time :/

in the below picture you can see after i quit the silverlight plugin my CPU usage just dropped

screen-capture-1.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm going to guess this is a flaw in RockMelt itself. Silverlight certainly shouldn't be opening if all you have is Google open. RockMelt is still in beta, so you may want to tread carefully - and it would probably make sense to alert the developer of what you're encountering.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.