G5 will not respond on start up, just fans

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a Power Mac G5 2.0Ghz dual processor 2003 as far as I can tell from what I have researched. I put a new 520GB HD in it and got the OS X 10.2 Jaguar for it, so I'm ready to go.

However, the DVD drive will not work when it is plugged into the mother board. The fans come on and the heat sinks are getting warm.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I'm thinking the motherboard is bad but, I don't know enough about Mac's to be sure.

Thankshttp://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Smile.png

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks,

I figured out that my memory was not being seen so I moved it around and now it starts up with the chime and I can get to the option screen but the Jaguar OS X 10.2 disc I got will not load. Sounds like I need a special boot disc to get things rolling.

Do I need OS 9 loaded before I load OS X 10.2?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
i would hold out a bit krazyrunner, until harryb notices this thread, he should be able to give you a hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The optical drive will not work? Maybe you need a new drive before you can install Jaguar. OS 9 is supported on G5's, but not the Classic operating system and the hard drive needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and install Mac OS 9 drivers box ticked.

Also is the Jaguar disc a black coloured disc or a silver grey from another computer? These are extremely model specific and will boot only the model they were issued with. As you can see we have quite a bit of work in front of us top get the G5 running!

Keep us posted?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.