OS 10.4.11 Epson All in one driver problem

Reaction score
Hey guys, a total noob here to the mac world. I was given a fully functional G4 Quicksilver recently and want to use my existing Epson CX9400F with this machine. I've tried to download the driver from the Epson website---

epson13239.dmg - 47.4MB - posted on 09/09/09

This file contains everything you need to use your Epson Stylus CX9400Fax with your Macintosh.

This package consists of the following items:

* Printer Driver v3.81
* Scanner Driver v3.26
* Epson EasyPrint v3.10

Installation instructions:

1. Download the file.
2. Double-click the downloaded file to create a disk image on your desktop.
3. Open the disk image.
4. Double-click the installer icon to begin the installation.

Saved the file to the desktop, but after double clicking, it says that there is no mountable file, hence no disk image created and the install aborts. Any ideas here?

OP
J
Reaction score
Isn't that file for uninstalling the scanner? I'd like to have the same full functionality with this printer on the mac like I have on my XP machines.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which file are you looking at? The one Harry referred you to is this:

[+] Drivers and Utilities Combo Package

Macintosh OS X (v10.6 - 10.6.x) compatible, Intel-based Macs with OS X (v10.4.4 - v10.5.x), PowerPC Macs with OS X (v10.2.8 - v10.5.x)
epson13239.dmg - 47.4MB - posted on 09/09/09

Notice it's also for PowerPC Macs.

OP
J
Reaction score
The file number from Harry's post-

Try this file epson12887.dmg

The file you've point me to is the very one that is giving some problems.

Perhaps this info might help here. I'm running a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver, with a PowerPC G4 (2.1) CPU. Single CPU. Boot Rom 4.3.3f2. Operating system is OS X 10.4.11. So from what little I know about Macs, epson13239.dmg should be the file I'm looking for, but that's the file that is giving the problems on install.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, I can not find another driver that will work. I checked the Open Printing web page and while a great number of Epson printers are listed, yours is not.

According to Epson, the 13239.dmg should work for your printer and for Tiger. Try downloading it again. It's possible the download was corrupt and the image could not expand properly. Clicking on an image file should open it to show an installer package that will install the drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well try the second last one epson12440 and see if that brings any joy.

OP
J
Reaction score
I went back and tried the download again with the 13239 driver. It worked this time. Haven't tried the scanner functions yet, but the printer part works. Don't care too much about the fax function on this computer. I think the file might have been corrupted somehow during the download process.

Thanks for the advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al right. Good to hear it was just a corrupt file. Have fun with your "new" printer. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Well.... I do have a C64 stashed and a C128 with 1541 5.25 SSSD floppy drive, a 286 with math coprocessor, dead 386, dead 486 tower, live 486/66 laptop, and a couple Pentium machines (non functional, keeping them for the cases), I also have a HP LaserJet 5si, a LaserJet IIIp, a Star NX1000 (working), and this Epson.

When my XP desktop had a major virus and hardware problem, I got really, really fed up with the MS world and was seriously thinking of building an Ubuntu machine. Having only an old Dell laptop still functional (XP), I was seriously researching what would make a really good Unix box. Then this G4 dropped in on my little cyber antique shop. Good friend passed this working G4 Quicksilver loaded with OS X 10.4.11, and a Sony G520 monitor so now I'm in the Unix world with an apple GUI for the astounding price of zero dollars spent. Granted, the CD drive was toast, so I did drop $25 for a new ide DVD/CD drive that I'm searching for drivers for next.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it is an IDE drive, drivers should not be needed as it will be recognised as native by the operating system. Have you tried popping a disc in and burning something with it?

OP
J
Reaction score
It is an IDE drive (LG GH22NP21). iTunes does recognize it and it will play a CD. Apple DVD player will not recognize it. But no, I haven't attempted to do any DVD/CD burning with it yet. I'm thinking pretty hard about a CPU upgrade and getting a copy of Adobe CS3 for video and photo editing, hence the need for a DVD drive. Next on the agenda is to convert some of my newer CDs and download them to my android phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A word from someone who upgraded the CPU on a MDD. Today it is not worth the expenditure. You can purchase a G5 for the same sort of money. Even better save and put the money towards an Intel machine as PowerPC is finished, with OS X.5.8 being the last OS for them.

With the release of OS X.7 Lion, one could expect Apple to drop support for Leopard. Normal after two releases.

This is not meant to be discouraging, just money saving in the long term im951.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.