Video Card Help! Please

M

MIXMAN3113

hello all , i need some help getting my monitor to work with my video card. i recently purchased a used powermac g4 gigabit ethernet off ebay, the previous owner upgraded pretty much everything , the video card was upgraded to a ati radeon 9000 pro mac edition with 64MB of RAM( has one adc connector , and one dvi connector), and my display is a 17 inch soyo dymond flat penel on with a vga input. when i connect the monitor to the computer via a dvi to vga adaptor, it reads "out of range" and displays only a black screen , now i did some research and came to the conclusion that the monitor does not support the resolution that the video card offers, im just curious if there is some other way to get this to work. ive tried using switchres x and have had no luck so far, please let me know if anyone can help , thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try resetting the PRAM. That should put the video back to default. Here is a URL that will help you. I think what is up is it's set at too high a resoultion for your display. This should take care of that.

http://www.cit.cornell.edu/helpdesk/mac/macos/resetpram.html

Follow the directions exactly. See if you then get a display. If not let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
agreed on the 4-5 times. It's a bit much. 2-3 works for me. Hope it helps him.

OP
M

MIXMAN3113

thanks guys , i havent tried that yet, i just checked the forums and im about to walk out the door, but im not sure if thats the problem , althought it may be. see, when i tried hooking it up to the flat panel , nothing worked , but i tried my old crt that i was using before i got the flat panel and the crt worked fine ,it worked perfectly detecting the correct resolution. also do you think that resetting the pram would be needed with an upgraded video card?? im not sure , maybe , im just curious , anyway thanks and ill try that when i get home and let you guys know, thanks again.

OP
M

MIXMAN3113

D3v1L80Y said:
That link takes it to a bit of an extreme...there is no need to have it restart four times. :black:
Here is the link to the offical Apple site's page for resetting PRAM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238
ok, i just tried resetting the pram , that seemed to have made it worse , now upon booting up i get the grey apple boot up screen as i did before , but now its not even booting up , im not getting the spinning boot thingy atthe bottom of the apple , its just sitting there doing nothing. how long should it take to reset the pram??? its already been sitting here doing nothing for about 3 minutes. also, i tried to reboot without the key commands and the same thing just sits on the boot screen, and i also tried booting from the jaguar install disc , and it does the same , just sits on the boot screen. if anyone else has any info please let me know , i need to get this to work , thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys till it sounded the Chime 2-3 times? It should work.

OP
M

MIXMAN3113

dtravis7 said:
Did you hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys till it sounded the Chime 2-3 times? It should work.
yea i did try that, ive tried quite a few things , its just hangs at the boot screen with no pinwheel , just a grey screen with a darker apple logo , its not even booting up now. can you think of anything else??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.