iMovie keeps crashing....Can someone help me?

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know why my iMovie keeps crashing. I deleted it off my computer and paid $14.99 for the updated version. When I click to open it up it still crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stefan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Repair permissions, trash the iMovie plist and try using another account and see if the problem persists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Repair permissions with Disk Utility which is in Home Folder>Applications>Utilities. The plist is a Preference file found in Home Folder>Library>Preferences. Look for something like com.apple.imovie.plist. Just move it/them to the trash.

Make another account in System Prefernces>Accounts, then try and use iMovie in that account.

OP
S
Reaction score
Didn't work when I repaired permissions and deleted the imovie plist. But it did work when I created another separate account. Thanks!

Reaction score
advice from Apple Care

I have been having the same problem and spoke today with a rep from Apple Care. Here's what he told me. Quit iMovie; go to Computer > Movies and move the iMovie Projects folder to the desktop. Open iMovie; create a new test project using film footage from the Event Library. Try to export it or to do whatever you were doing when it crashed (selecting Titles below a certain row in the Titles window made mine crash as well as exporting). If you do these things and iMovie does not crash, the problem is being caused by a corrupted movie project. (Although the rep wouldn't say so, iMovie is causing the corrupting--and the problem lies with the titles--more on this below.) Just having a corrupted project in the Project Library will make the program crash, even if you are working on a new project. You have to rebuild your file piece by piece, seeing if it exports after each addition to see if the new addition is causing the problem (choose tiny movie because it's quicker). I managed to retrieve all the edited video plus transitions by clicking on a film clip in the corrupted project and selecting all and copying it and importing into a new project (though in between, I had to open and close iMovie to drag that corrupted project back to the desktop because it kept crashing). I discovered that one particular kind of title--Organic Main-- was making the project and program crash--not all of the titles. When I tried to add it back to the rebuilt project, it crashed; when I went to the old file that was corrupted and tried to delete that title, it crashed. When I tried to delete the clip that had that title on it in the old project, it crashed. The transitions I used worked fine (though not sure if all of them would). Music, photos, film clips, etc. all fine. The problem lies with iMovie and it needs a fix! But I was able to rebuild my project--minus the style of title I like--and export it using this method.

Reaction score
This worked for me - thanks

A big thanks for sharing. I removed my movie files in the way you suggested and the crashing stopped.

Reaction score
iMovies

I don't think I want to make movies that bad. I tried a few things without success. On 10.8 you can not just go to your Library any more. I forget how to get into it now.

When I tried to update iMovie as suggested I sent to the App Store and downloaded the update. Then I got this alert...

The version of iMovie installed on this Mac must be updated through the Mac App Store. Check the Mac App Store to see if an update is available.

Same story with iPhoto.

So...iMovie and iPhoto will not work with Mountain Lion and neither can be updated. Is that the story?

Reaction score
Same Glitch with Organic Title

I discovered that one particular kind of title--Organic Main-- was making the project and program crash--not all of the titles.

I had added Organic Main to a project, kept crashing, and crashed when exporting. Removed it, and it exported just fine. YAY!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!

Then, silly me, I tried Organic Lower in a different project. It also made iMovie crash. But even worse was I could not delete the title, every time I tried it crashed (and I tried every way I could think of!) So I dragged the iMovie Projects folder onto desktop, then opened iMovie (no old projects visible), then dragged just that one project back into Movies/iMovie Projects, and opened it. This time I was able to remove title without crashing, and then exported just fine without crashing. THANK YOU!!

I don't know if I'll be keen to use iMovie again once i've finished this project.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.