Opinions on choosing an emac.

Reaction score
Ever since I've seen the emac at my school I have wanted one. I am thinking of buying one but I have a question on what is a good choice. I found one on ebay that says it has 1.25 Ghz. With 1.25 Ghz, will this machine play youtube videos with no problem, no lagging or freezing. I would love to have an apple as a main computer but the one I have just isn't cutting it. Also, the full specs of the machine are 1.25 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM, and has a 40 GB HDD. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Dan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have to keep some things in mind when deciding to buy an eMac:

1. It's an old machine that is powered by a PPC processor which means you'll be locked out of the latest operating system and applications. The latest OS you can run on that machine is Leopard 10.5.8.

2. The monitor is a CRT type which when old have a high failure rate.

As long as you know what you're getting into, you might as well look for the best deal on used eMac machines. eBay is not always the best place to buy something like that since chances are it will be overpriced.

If I were you, I'd save up my money and buy a used Intel Mac. Maybe a MacBook or iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.