Stupid Mouse Has Gone Insane.

Reaction score
Ever since I installed USB Overdrive on my imac last night, my mouse has been clicking randomly whenever I move it. This is making it a REAL pain to do ANYTHING, especially considering that I'm a graphic designer and need a STABLE mouse. This thing just clicks, the scroll button clicks, and the right button clicks... whenever I'm moving it. It's incredibly frustrating and I don't know how to change it. I'm scared to move the mouse over ANY files because it will just dragging and opening things at random!!! I can't even watch a youtube video without it clicking. As soon as I start moving - CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK.

I've uninstalled USB Overdrive - that did NOT help. I've switched the mouse to another drive. Nothing. I have a strong feeling that this isn't going to be fixed with buying a new mouse. What do I do? I don't want to have to back up my entire ginormous computer and reset it just to fix the problem.

I have a 24 inch imac with Intel and the standard wired mouse that comes with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Try a different mouse? Try different USB ports?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you actually use the uninstaller in the folder in Utilities, or simply drag to Trash?

OP
M
Reaction score
Did you actually use the uninstaller in the folder in Utilities, or simply drag to Trash?

i think i moved something to the trash that prevented me from being able to properly uninstall it (the uninstaller told me that it wasn't installed on my computer).

Do I need to reinstall it and then properly uninstall it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reinstall it then use the uninstaller. Let us know how it goes.

OP
M
Reaction score
The reinstall and uninstall seems to have worked. USB Overdrive was still active because it was overriding my mouse. I had set my scroll button off in System Preferences to see whether that helped the situation, but it wouldn't turn off. Once I reinstalled/uninstalled USB Overdrive, there is no overriding on the mouse and it's not misbehaving anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Goodoh! Remember some applications/utilities will not uninstall completely bu the drag to Trash method. If it comes with an uninstaller, it is there for a reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.