Syncing frustrations

Reaction score
I'm probably doing it wrong, but I've been frustrated with the syncing on the iPad.

Since the iPad is always at home and connected to the WiFi, i just download my apps directly from the store on the iPad.

The problem comes when I connect the iPad to my computer and it syncs. I get the message about apps on the iPad not being in the library and asking if i want them copied. I say yes, it copies the apps then deletes them.

Why are the apps being deleted?? I know I had a memory problem at some point on my Macbook where it was unable to copy the apps due to low space, but the default path for iTunes is now my external 1TB drive, so space isn't an issue. But the problem of the apps being deleted from the iPad persists.

How do I set it up so that after the apps are copied, they aren't deleted?

I'm having the same issue with the iPhone, frustrating on both devices

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Are they checked on the Apps tab? Any app you do not have checked will be removed from the device, but are still there in iTunes.

Not the sidebar - the tab when you have your' iDevice connected - make sure anything you want synced to that particular device is checked.

OP
NumberSix
Reaction score
They're not checked on the Apps tab because they weren't installed from the computer

Does that mean i have hurry up and go check whatever i don't want deleted when the copy process starts? The apps weren't visible in the list when the process started (but then i walked away from the computer)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not my experience that apps are deleted from my iDevices. You could be syncing a little differently than I am though.

After it moves the apps to the computer, head for the apps tab where you can move them around and organize them a little easier (because you can basically see all the screens at once) and check/uncheck the ones you want/don't want on your iDevice and then hit the Sync button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Is it possible you have the sync new apps to my device unchecked? I would hope that it does not work that way but it is possible.

312x268-itunes-auto-sync-new-apps.jpg

OP
NumberSix
Reaction score
Well I almost feel stupid, that check box seems to have done it

For some reason i thought it only applied to new apps downloaded on the computer

Thanks Ramimac1!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Well I almost feel stupid, that check box seems to have done it

For some reason i thought it only applied to new apps downloaded on the computer

Thanks Ramimac1!

I was really hoping I was wrong on that one

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.