hard drive attached to router via USB

Reaction score
Hi,

Just got a new macbook pro and I cannot see the external hard drive it is attached via a USB to my router. Can anyone help please ?
It's a Belkin Play Max Router
It's a Western Digital Elements Hard Drive, file system is FAT, I know there are issues with reading an FAT/NTFS format - but I would expect the mac to at least find the hard drive

Thank You

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are no issues with OSX reading either NTFS or FAT. It's Writing to NTFS that stock OSX does not do, but FAT 32 is totally readable and writable by OSX.

I wonder if there is a driver that has to be installed for the Belkin to make the USB connected drive show up? I know my Dlink DIR-655 has one or you will not see the drive.

Will check around and see what I can find.

There is software called Usb Print and storage Manager. There is an OSX version. Here is a URL to the manual.

http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4035

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I have a similar thing in a box in the basement. it could detect the router but no matter what i tried the usb hard drive was never found no matter what i tried. eventually i gave up on it and off to the basement it went.

good lucck with it though dont give up as easily as i did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.