Cleaning out my Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I've owned my Macbook Pro for a few months now and I haven't done any cleaning or deleting of cookies, temporary internet files, cache, etc. I know you had to do that with a PC from time to time. I was wondering if there's anything that I need to do on a routine basis to make sure my Macbook isn't getting filled up with clutter and useless files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Mac is not like a typical PC that gets loaded down with junk, temporary files, fragmentation, and so forth. Your machine will do routine maintenance all by itself when you're not using it. Of course that means leaving it on (in sleep mode) overnight.

You can also use a maintenance program to clean out caches, temp files, and some other things that accumulate over time. One of the best - and it's free - is OnyX. You can download it from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.